Points & Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Points & Electronic Ignition

Been fooling with my points and timing all weekend. Almost ready to take the plunge and buy an electronic setup. Is the Dyna-S DS3-1 a good option for a '78 GS750C? I am not interested in higher performance, just want it to start and run good without having to worry about points and timing.

In the meantime maybe someone can advise me on the current points and timing. I followed the manual and all was well until I tried to set the timining for 2-3 cylinders. I moved the plate to the ends of the slots and still was ~5 degrees off (based on the knob on my timing light). Is there something that I might have missed that would cause this?

The bike runs reasonably well but has a slight dead spot coming off idle and the idle speed seems to increase quite a bit after the bike has been ridden a few miles.

Thanks

Just installed my Dyna today. The bike now starts almost instantly (and I was replacing electronic ignition - albeit a questionable one)! I think you need to check your present ignition and see if it is the ND or KD type (should be stamped on the points plate KD or KOK, or ND as in Nippon Denso). KD is DS3-1, ND is DS3-2. Z1 Enterprises is selling the DS3-2 for $125 + shipping, which was the best price I could find easily. And they're great.

I had to sand down the DS3-2 spacer and rotor some to get them to fit. But then the 82 GS550 is not on the applications list.

Comment

Originally posted by rickt View Post
      Been fooling with my points and timing all weekend. Almost ready to take the plunge and buy an electronic setup. Is the Dyna-S DS3-1 a good option for a '78 GS750C? I am not interested in higher performance, just want it to start and run good without having to worry about points and timing.

In the meantime maybe someone can advise me on the current points and timing. I followed the manual and all was well until I tried to set the timining for 2-3 cylinders. I moved the plate to the ends of the slots and still was ~5 degrees off (based on the knob on my timing light). Is there something that I might have missed that would cause this?

The bike runs reasonably well but has a slight dead spot coming off idle and the idle speed seems to increase quite a bit after the bike has been ridden a few miles.

Thanks
      Hi Rick!

I went with the Dyna S on my 79 750 and I will likely put one on my 78 750c. Just a reminder that you will also need the Dyna (Green) 3 ohm coils as well; I believe yours are 5 ohm.

As far as timing the points, when I did mine, I went more by how the engine responded than all the numbers. Just listen to how the engine responds.

Have you synced the carbs? Have you adjusted the air screws per the rpm method?

If you want to take a ride up to White Bear Lake we can look at it together. I have also put several Dyna S's in if you want help. It's easy though.

Rick

Comment

The idle problem is most likely from an intake boot air leak. In case you didn't know there is a large O-ring between the boot and head and these tend to leak. Cycleorings.com sells replacements as do OE parts sources.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Shouldn't be an O-ring

Ed,

I don't think the seal or boots are the problem. Everything on this bike has been replaced - new o-rings, carbs cleaned and rebuild, etc.

Found it rather strange that turning the air screws in and out did not make a noticeable change to engine rpm. Not really able to judge by tach since it still works as if the insides are covered with glue. Had to go with my "ear."

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rickt View Post
            Ed,

I don't think the seal or boots are the problem. Everything on this bike has been replaced - new o-rings, carbs cleaned and rebuild, etc.

Found it rather strange that turning the air screws in and out did not make a noticeable change to engine rpm. Not really able to judge by tach since it still works as if the insides are covered with glue. Had to go with my "ear."

Thanks
            I could be wrong (Ed or others weigh in) but this is also evidence of an air leak somewhere. Did you replace the intake O-rings or did the PO say "it was all done"?

Rick

Comment

Hey Rick, great name!

I appreciate the offer of help. I've only put ~60 miles on the GS since it all came together a month or so ago. It's probably running well enough for a trip to White Bear.

Shoot me a PM and let me know what your schedule looks like. My wife is having major surgery a week from tomorrow so next weekend is probably my best option.

Thanks!

Comment

Rick,

PO did not touch the bike since 1981. Parked it, removed the gas tank and carbs, and let it sit in the garage until he decided to give it to me a couple of years ago. I've been slowly restoring it and about the only thing that wasn't replaced was the engine. The bike only had 2000 mi. on it and the engine seems solid.

rickt

Comment

Working...
                X