Headlite switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlite switch question

Okay here is the deal. I've discovered that, on my 1150, when switching from low to high beam and vice versa if I only move the switch halfway, I can run both filaments at the same time. My question is , is this normal has anyone else done this? and what if any effect is this having on my charging system? I really like running this way because it lights up so much more area than just one or the other, but by the same token I don't want to screw anything up bycreating too much draw on the charging system. Any of you electrical geniuses have an idea? Hap, Ron, Leon, anyone else?
    Doze. :?

Doze it will eventually burn out the contacts in the switch, BTW if you press the switch all the way down you will find that there is a pass flasher down there, that if held does exzctly the same thing.
    Dink

Comment

Dink is correct because you are now passing twice the current through the switch. Also, you have increased the load on your charging system by at least 25%. Stock, the low beam is 55W and the high beam is 60W...both together is 115W. If you still have the stock stator and R/R they may not last long.

I know what you mean about more lighting...I have a friend who has a 1800 Goldwing and when we are going down the road at night and he is behind me, I could easily turn off my headlight and would not notice a big difference!

Hap

Comment

If the switch is anything like my GS1000 switch it will burn it out eventually. Also, the headlight might not like the extra heat, perhaps burning out the reflector eventually. I have run 130/90 bulbs in mine at certain times (mostly whne I used to do night travell interstate) and it did tend to darken the inside of the reflector. Mind you, it is an ex rally grade Marchall, and I have another spare one anyway

Comment

that is not good for the switch as already mentioned, and it is also not good for the bulb, running both elements will greatly shorten its life span.

there are some aftermarket bulbs available that use modern technology to produce more light from the same amount of wattage.

Comment

Thanks for all the answers. Now I know I guess I'd better find another method of lighting up the nite.
            Doze.

Comment

Working...
            X