Dyna s on a gs 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna s on a gs 650

I have a 1983 GS 650. Last winter I would start it every week or so just to keep her running through the cold-spell. One week she started great, the next week, she just wouldn't start! I tried everything, including starting fluid.

Someone told me it was the points, and that I should get a Dyna S. I read about them, and it seemed like a good idea. My old Chevy trucks all had HEI distributors and they worked great.

Before I ordered the Dyna S, I called the company and they told me it would work fine on my bike. When I got the part and started to install it, I saw that the oil pressure switch was in the way of the Dyna S plate. The old plate had an arc cut into it to make room for the oil pressure switch.

I checked around and found out that my Dyna S plate could be modified to fit my bike. Has anyone done this before, and can you tell me how it worked out?

I just read a thread which someone had altered the dyna , with the notch you discribed. I could quickly find it, but I think it was Bribird who had responded with a picture of what he done. Let me know what you work out , as I have a 650g i may do the same to. I'll look for that thread. here's link : http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=145878

Charlie g
    Last edited by Charlie G; 07-26-2009, 07:45 PM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I searched and found the picture you were talking about (I think). It had the parts laid out on cardboard. I'm going to bite the bullet and notch my Dyna S right now. It's going to be dark soon, so I'll have to finish the install tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Comment

650's has factory electronic ignitions.
        IMO a dyna S is only an improvement when it is not cost effective to repair the facory ignition.
        if a person wants more ignition timing...
        its only a small rat tail file away.

Comment

Where do yo live anyway and what about a picture of the 650.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Here is a shot of my notched Dyna S. Removed electronics, bolted it to a 2X4 and used a hole saw on it.

Stock Ignitor was bad so the Dyna was the cheaper route. Dyna told me that not all 650s had the oil pressure switch in that location which is why they told me it would fit my bike when it didn't.

The oil pressure sending unit terminal screw fell in roughly the same location as the screw hole for the Dyna strain relief so I'm using it until I find a better solution.

Comment

Working...
            X