auto-cancel bypass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto-cancel bypass?

Does anyone know which wires to jump together to bypass the auto-cancelling unit?

There are a bunch of different colors in there!

I'm trying to eliminate it as the cause of my problem where the right side turn signals don't work at all and sometimes they work just fine.

thanks,
    Mike

If it's only one side, it's not likely the cancelling unit.

It only turns the flasher relay on or off, depending on what the sensors are telling it. For flashing problems, start by making sure you have the correct bulbs, then check continuity of wiring and connectors. Don't forget the connections inside the bulb socket in the lamp housings.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for that info.

If both or one of the signals was disconnected, would the flasher still activate?

Would one bad bulb kill both signals on that side?

I don't get why sometimes they work fine all ride long, and other times they won't work at all. Good thing they worked for my inspection.

Comment

the flasher is sized so that two bulb loads are required to heat the bi-metalic spring in the flasher and cause it to flash. If there is only one load, or if the corrosion is bad enough they also will not flash as there is not sufficent current gaing through the flasher to heat it.

So if you pull one bulb, the other will stop flashing.

Comment

Thanks, that is great info. Hopefully it will help me diagnose what is causing this issue.

Comment

Is this with your 79 850, and does that controller have two connector plugs to the harness? If so, my money is on the controller unit.. sorry Steve.

The 79 version controller is different to the 80 and later. With the 79 version, the output from the flasher goes to the controller unit that then latches one of two relays inside the controller to direct the flasher output to the correct signal pair. That's why only a momentary switch is needed.

The 80 and later version with only one plug to the harness provides control via an enable/disable line to the flasher unit. The output of the flasher goes to the turn signal switch at the handlebar to be directed to the correct signal pair. That switch is multi-position and has positions off center that direct the flasher output to the signal pair.

I could only turn right most days because the controller on mine was duff when I got it. There were odd days both sides worked perfectly well but mostly they were a PITA.
            It's smoke that make electronic components work.
            Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
            '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
            '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
            '82 GS1000SZ
            '82 GS1100GL
            '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

It's been too long for me to remember exactly the wiring but I hated that self canceling POS and took it out of the loop. The less extra crap the better.

So, IMHO even it's not part of the "problem" take it out anyway. You don't need it.

Comment

Here's the old post if you need it:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
                  ... my money is on the controller unit.. sorry Steve. ...
                  That's OK.

I did not know that the '79s had a different configuration.

I learned something today, can I go home now?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.

Wallowgreen, thanks for that personal experience, I'm definitely going to try and get that box cut out of the system.

Right on don! I'm all about getting rid of uneeded crap.

Thanks for that old post, sounds like that should definitely help me out.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      That's OK.

I did not know that the '79s had a different configuration.

I learned something today, can I go home now?

Exiting quietly stage left ............

Comment

Working...
                      X