Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke down in Knoxville

1980 GS850G
    Wife and I are making a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Bought a new sealed battery along the way in Louisville Ky. Next day rode to Nashville. Hit some rain along the way and stopped at a carwash to rinse the bike off and drove back to the hotel. loaded up the next day and felt like the the bike was missing. Stopped and pulled the plugs and #2 was wet. Dryed it off but was still weak and by the time I made it to Knoxville it it was running worse.
    Replaced all the plugs, #2 is still turning black, so I replaced it this morning with a B7ES but it stiil turns black just after a run around the parking lot.
    Pulled and cleaned the air filter, drained the bowls and saw no sign of water. Pulled the wires and checked for spark, and replaced #2 wire.
    I'm thinking coil but all the shops are closed today and I'd hate to wait 3 days to get one and that not be the problem.
    Anyone know someone in the area that might have a used one in the area that would bring it to me.
    By the way the Carbs were broke down and cleaned about 3000 miles ago and ran great until the new battery.
    I'm limited on tools but open to any suggestions that might get us running.

Originally posted by jonn1963 View Post
    replaced #2 wire.
    Was the wire epoxied into the coil ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

No. Just the standard push on type.

Comment

I will ad this. If I hold the throttle at 1000 rpms it will suddenly go up to 1500 and then jump to 2000 and then either return to 1000 or die.

Comment

Don't think it's the new battery. I think it's the water.

How do your plugs caps look ? Try and dry everything completely.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

no corrision on any of the caps. Have riden thru rain-storms 2up and fully loaded many times before but never had an issue. The shop that sold me the battery texted the old one and it was weak. Its never been strong in the 10 months I've had it. When I rebuilt the carbs I had to jump it off after just a few attemps to start and when cold it wouldn't turn over very well. I'm a short walk from a cyclegear store and just ordered 2 new coils [$300.00 not counting overnight charges] so hopefully that will fix it. If not I'll have 2 new coils for my next GS.
            Oh yeah, the coils on their now look old and the metal tabs that stick of the front are rusted and the tabs on the right coil are seperated from getting hung up when the tank was removed in the past in the past. Noticed that when I removed the tank to do the carbs. I compressed them back with pliers. Happens to be the same coil that feeds #2

Comment

You have two threads going here. Be sure to keep an eye on both.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
              X