Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke down in Knoxville

1980 GS850G
    Wife and I are making a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Bought a new sealed battery along the way in Louisville Ky. Next day rode to Nashville. Hit some rain along the way and stopped at a carwash to rinse the bike off and drove back to the hotel. loaded up the next day and felt like the the bike was missing. Stopped and pulled the plugs and #2 was wet. Dryed it off but was still weak and by the time I made it to Knoxville it it was running worse.
    Replaced all the plugs, #2 is still turning black, so I replaced it this morning with a B7ES but it stiil turns black just after a run around the parking lot.
    Pulled and cleaned the air filter, drained the bowls and saw no sign of water. Pulled the wires and checked for spark, and replaced #2 wire.
    I'm thinking coil but all the shops are closed today and I'd hate to wait 3 days to get one and that not be the problem.
    Anyone know someone in the area that might have a used one in the area that would bring it to me.
    By the way the Carbs were broke down and cleaned about 3000 miles ago and ran great until the new battery.
    I'm limited on tools but open to any suggestions that might get us running.

Being the number 2 plug I'm going to take a stab and say it may be that the diaphragm in the petcock may have developed a leak and you now have gas going down the vacuum tube to the number 2 carb causing the rich condition.

Not sure what a fix would be that can be done quickly, and doubt that any of the shops have a petcock in stock to replace. Though if they do have a pingle etc you can rule out the vacuum issues altogether, but don't forget to plug the vacuum line to the carb or you'll have running issues in the opposite direction (lean) on that carb.

Just my .02 worth of quick thoughts..

Amos

Comment

Yep, the petcock diaphragm is a top suspect here.

Easy workaround for now:

Pull the vacuum line off of the petcock and plug it (golf tees work great, but folding it over & tying it should do for now).

Get another short length of vacuum line (or sacrifice your original by cutting it shorter); plug one end and use this to plug the now-vacant vacuum tap on the petcock.

Switch to Prime, motor onward and remember to switch to ON when you park.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

an easy way to test if it's the diaphram is to take the tank off the bike, and let it sit. if you suck on the vac line and it dumps fuel, but then stops as soon as you do, it's probably ok. if it drips constantly even just a little (more than just runoff from it being open) chances are, it's bad. thats how i found out mine was bad.

Comment

One of the first thing I checked. Got suction from the carbs, then while the tank was off i sucked on the hose while attached to the petcock, gas came out and stopped when I stopped.
          I'm not sure how I got two threads going. I'm not to computer savoy.

Comment

Working...
          X