another carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another carb problem

Suzuki 1980 gs850 with approx.25k miles. had elec problems[turn signal switch] but all squared away. Bike sat for most of winter with Stabil in tank and carbs.
    Bike does not run over 3000rpm. Gas tank is clean with no rust. I cleaned the carbs-used kit and replaced jets, orings,gaskets,cleaned,float needle and seat,cleaned.
    Carbs looked clean before I replaced jets but I cleaned and replaced stuff anyway.
    Now the bike will idle at 3000rpm but when I open the throttle it just dies. I open the throttle and the slides will vibrate slightly but not move more than 1/8 inch before dying.
    The diaphragms were good-no rips.The slides were clean and not sticking. No visual wear on the slide needles.
    I replaced the vacuum operated petcock[new] and made sure all the hoses were hooked up correctly. I do not have the owners manual so I'm not sure about the petcock setting but it is horizontal now since gas flows all the tine at the vertical setting.
    I did not check the float height because I did not change any settings. All the vac ports are tight and the mounting flanges are in good condition and tight.
    I replaced the pilot jets and set them at two turns out.

Bike did not run above much above 2000rpm before and will not run above 3000 now . Any ideas?

another carb problem

I forgot to add that pulling the choke, while riding, will cause the bike to speed up and run better so something is causing a lean condition? Thanks for any help.

Comment

Are you running it with the airbox and filter ?
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

sounds like he is trying to check it out with the airbox off of it.
        if so...
        no airbox= will rev to 4k there abouts/no higher and then bog badly.
        to much air/not enough fuel.

Comment

another carb problem

no. it has the sponge type individual filters[maybe UNI?]. I need the rubber mounts for the airbox so I put on the sponge type filters for now. Does that make that much difference?

Comment

Originally posted by mistercooldust View Post
            no. it has the sponge type individual filters[maybe UNI?]. I need the rubber mounts for the airbox so I put on the sponge type filters for now. Does that make that much difference?

THE BIKE WILL NOT REV OVER 4K with the airbox removed.
            install the airbox or buy a st.3 jet kit.
            no other options.

Comment

Pods usually require rejetting. Save yourself some trouble and go back to the OEM box and filter!

Comment

another carb problem

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get some rubbers for the airbox and go from there.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get some rubbers for the airbox and go from there.
                  Please let us know how it turned out as it will help others as well!

Comment

Working...
                  X