Brand of Battery?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand of Battery?????

What brand of Battery have people had good luck with? I see some at Walmart/Kmart-and at the cycle shop. Prices have ranged from $32 - $45US.

Brian
    GS650G

They are more than 45 bucks but westco and oddesey are two of the better batteries. Yuasa is a excellent battery but has been plagued by what we call on the cbx list as sudden death syndrome. They just short out and are dead suddenly. I`ve has several do it. I have to admit I was in a rush recently and went to walmart and got one...I know its a lower quality battery but its been in my cbx for 2 years and is doing fine. I think the main thing is to charge it properly when you get it.

Comment

I did my charging system 2 or 3 years ago.
      I bought a Sears Die-hard and haven't had a problem with it.

The key could be the charging system working great.

I put it on a charger over the winter, about once a month.
      This was a long winter

Keith
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I have used quite a few batteries over the years and typically use Yuasa as I have had good luck with them and have used them since the 60s.

I have also used many others when I could not get a Yuasa. I have had good luck in recent years with interstate batteries. I had a bronco battery from a small independent battery shop and have used a Champion from Wal-Mart. All of these worked fine the biggest difference was that the Champion and Bronco needed replacing after two years and I usually get more than three on a Yuasa (also over 3 for the last interstate).

I think the days of really crappy batteries are over and with proper charging and care anything that you can buy now will work.

I've been thinking of going with a maintenance free Gel cell next time. A friend has had one for about three years now in his Sabre and has had no problems.

Mike

Comment

Hey Mike who makes Gel Cells for our bikes? What are the prices like?

And when you say "maintenance free", can they sit all winter without a problem, or are there more advantages?

Thanks

Comment

Yuasa makes maint. free batteries for our bikes, Bike bandit had them for $70US. I also would like to know the advantages.

Comment

I have used Yuasa for the last 10yrs + with not the first problem yet!! 8)

Comment

On the cbxlist we have a employee of Yuasa on there. We`ve had lots and lots of post on thier batteries. Interstate and die hard(sears) are yuasa batteries...just relabeled. We got into that several times. The sudden death issue is real. We even took a poll and sent batteries to this employee to let his research department analyze. What came back was that thier welds in the frame of the battery were breaking and letting the plates short out. According to them yuasa felt that this was acceptable and did not correct the problem. I am not naming this person because I would not want his job in jeopardy. He has been up front and very helpful to me personally with battery issues on big engine hayabusa`s and such. Personally I would buy a yuasa...they are good just not nearly as good as some new batteries on the market.

Comment

I have a couple of friends that are using sealed Gel Cell batteries from Batteries Plus on their bikes and have had good luck with them. I haven't checked yet to see if they make one that will fit my GS-750L thay are simular to the ones on: http://www.westcobattery.com/

Just go to this site and the have application finder. They didn't list the 81 750L but did list the Katana, 850G, and I believe 1000.

Mike

Comment

I think that Simon holds the worlds record for having the same battery in his bike for a number of years. 8O

Comment

I have been using Wal-Mart battery in my 1100 for the past few years...I get about 4 years before they give up the ghost.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                      X