Lean mixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lean mixture

will a lean mixture make my bike die anfter it runs for awhile or when it gets hot!?

thanks

Yes

What do your sparks plugs look like?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Actually, a little RICH will be more likely to cause the symptoms you describe as the plugs will load up & the motor will die. When it does this & you re-start the bike, try revving to about 7000 & see if it blows black smoke. If it does, you are rich. Ray.

Comment

well i took out the right farthest plug and it hadsome chalky white on it, and when it dies it wont let me re-start it afterwards

Comment

Chalky white is way too lean

Tell us about you bike

1. Stock pipe and airbox?
          2. Header?
          3. Pods?
          4. Intake boots?
          5. O rings?

You should go to the USER CP and add your bike info into your signature, like mine
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by GrantC82GS View Post
            will a lean mixture make my bike die anfter it runs for awhile or when it gets hot!?

thanks
            Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Actually, a little RICH will be more likely to cause the symptoms you describe as the plugs will load up & the motor will die.
            Well, running LEAN will cause those symptoms, too, but for different reasons.

If it's running real lean, it will run hot. If it runs real hot, it could be starting to seize.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well thats not good hahah, but if it were to seize wouldnt it just sieze right up? there are 120,xxx miles on it though, and everythings stock. and the carbs might need to be adjusted, i heard they are really super touchy

Comment

Seizing engines don't necessarily go from running freely to locked up solid in one rotation of the crank.

If it's getting warm enough to start the seizing process, it is at least doing it slowly enough to give you a bit of warning. With 120,xxx miles on it, it has already live a useful life, but that does not mean it's over yet. Check your carbs for cleanliness of the jets and also check your mixtures. There is a remote chance that damage has been minimal enough to keep riding.

Carbs need to be clean to work properly and yes, they need to be set correctly, but I wouldn't call them "really super touchy".

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

sweet, well im taking it to a place about 45 min away and letting them tune and check that since i dont want to mess with the carbs and everyhting, thanks alot!

Comment

Working...
                  X