No announcement yet.

pilot jet plugs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it idle on it's own after choke? Your needles aren't in use when it's idleing. Were the carbs cleaned before the jet kit was installed? And by cleaned I mean dipped? New orings? Have you checked the float bowl heights? What intake filter(s) are you using...K&N's? Is the engine stock other than the pipe/jet kit?

As stated, the pilot plugs need to be in there. The pilot draws from the main. There is a passageway between the main and pilot....and if it's clogged, guess what?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      They MUST have the rubber plugs in them. These prevent the pilot circuit from pulling fuel unmetered from the float bowls.
      Even worse, when the airflow demands fuel through the main jets, fuel can also be sucked in through the passage that is now uncovered by the lack of a rubber plug. Talk about jetting nightmares.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      ... i can tell you it wont run under load without the plugs.
      That is because it can now draw fuel through an unmetered port, as well as the main jet, making the mixture VERY rich.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        Does it idle on it's own after choke? Your needles aren't in use when it's idleing. Were the carbs cleaned before the jet kit was installed? And by cleaned I mean dipped? New orings? Have you checked the float bowl heights? What intake filter(s) are you using...K&N's? Is the engine stock other than the pipe/jet kit?

As stated, the pilot plugs need to be in there. The pilot draws from the main. There is a passageway between the main and pilot....and if it's clogged, guess what?
        The pilot plugs are in. I'm using K&N pods. carbs were cleaned and rebuilt by suzuki shop. stock bore and cams.

Comment

Originally posted by mistertoadie View Post
          The pilot plugs are in. I'm using K&N pods. carbs were cleaned and rebuilt by suzuki shop. stock bore and cams.
          Will it idle?
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

just got home. In the garage now, just changed plugs. Gonna raise the needles to the fourth groove from top.

Comment

will only run on choke. Will now somewhat accept throttle while choke is on but will not idle without choke. Choke seems to work like a throttle even after it's hot.

Comment

Adjusted float levels, they were way too low. Cleaned pilot jets, (#40s) backed out the mixture to 2 full turns. got it to idle. dropped the clips down to 2 from the bottom. She takes throttle and idles with no choke now. Still a little boggy off idle. Maybe go all the way to the bottom notch on the needles??

Comment

Adjusted float levels, they were way too low. Cleaned pilot jets, (#40s) backed out the mixture to 2 full turns. got it to idle. dropped the clips down to 2 from the bottom. She takes throttle and idles with no choke now. Still a little boggy off idle. Maybe go all the way to the bottom notch on the needles??
                  Wait, this is an 1100 right?? Your pilots are too small. Stock is 45 i do believe.....

Comment

Thinkin maybe po pirated some carbs off something else.

Comment

I guess that would explain a lean idle and transition to throttle, huh.

Comment

Like I said on the phone...hard to trust someone else's work. Glad to hear that the problem was partially due to the floats being off. Don't mess with the needles yet. Get the right pilots in there, set the needle where the kit says to, then do plug chops at minimum, half, and full throttle. Start with full throttle first and work down. You can't set the needles without first knowing that the mains are the right size.
                        Last edited by renobruce; 07-29-2009, 07:00 PM.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                        X