Single carb for 4 cylinder??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single carb for 4 cylinder??

I came across a gentleman 2 weeks ago, i was looking at a Springer front end for sale. He brought out his 70's model custom Honda 750 or 1000 (something like that) was in a Redneck Engineeering frame, sounded very good.

BUT!!!!

He was running a single carb running into a homemade manifold to the intake all the way across the board..... I could see the first 2 carbs getting enough fuel but the second 2, not real sure about that.

Anybody have experience with something like this? I can weld a whole lot better than i can work/adjust carbs, if i could get down to 1, well that would minimize a lot of my tinkering (messing up).

Also he had a single airfilter on the top housing of the motor, (very similar to the hose that goes from the top of the motor on a gs that goes to the air box). He used a 9.99 air filter from auto zone....

Anybody think this motor will last long??

IT SOUNDED GOOD!!!

Holly 350 double pumper?

Comment

Nope, it was a CV carb or SS, (not sure if same) he looked on the SS website for jet sizing...

Comment

No reason why it wouldn't last as long as it's not running too lean. Single carbs on multi cylinders are no new thing. If it works on a straight 6 truck or car motor, or even an old straight 8 like a pontiac, why not on a 4? My old Arctic cat snowmobiles had single carbs on twin cylinder 2 strokes.

Comment

Most bike turbos run thru 1 carb. I had a KZ1300 6 cyl. Turbo with 1 carb
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

buy a turbo manifold from a turbo kit.
            you could put a 42-44 HRS mikuni on it ect..
            i run one 1 7/8" carb on a 1325cc... makes about 300HP give or take.

Comment

Interesting, i might give it a shot. If i stick with the four carb setup, anybosy know where to get the individual air filters, as cheap as possible.

Oh and a gasket/ring/bearing set for this bike?? I have not had very good luck with the googleing of it either.

Thanks.

1982 Suzuki GS650L(GL?)

Comment

I had a friend that drag raced a z1r and he had a 2 barrel holley under the seat and it ran wickedly fast and was very consistent in it's every day driving. He had a custom made 4 into 1 intake. It had a box that the carb sat on and I'm pretty sure it had 4 pipes coming out, almost like the TPFI intake air boxes. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                X