Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aftermarket '83 550ES ignition

Hey there,

Does anybody know of a company that makes an aftermarket ignition system for a 1983 GS550ES? I tried Dyna and they seem to make ones for all models expect 1983 and up 550's.

Has anyone been able to make something work on this model of bike? I ready to try ANY solution, Complete rewire (etc) I just did a cosmetic overhaul on it and now the shop says it will costs more then the bike is worth to replece with OEM parts that are a bad design to start with!!

Thanks in advance

Alex
    :? :? :?

you can use the Dyna S ignition on your bike, you just need to install a mechanical advancer like the bikes from 77-79. i saw a timing plate and advancer on ebay yesterday for cheap.

i'm not sure if the Dyna 2000 unit controls the timing advance. they are more pricey for units that do that.

~Adam

Comment

Dyna S model??

Which Dyna s ignition system would work with a 1983 gs550es and will i need anything else to make it all operate?

Comment

You will need an advance unit from older GS 78-81,82?.
        Also need older style cover? or make a spacer
        May need to machine the advance unit base dia to get a good fit on the crank

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          You will need an advance unit from older GS 78-81,82?.
          Also need older style cover? or make a spacer
          May need to machine the advance unit base dia to get a good fit on the crank
          Sorry,

And which dyna s ignition system should i buy?

Thanks,
          Syncali

Comment

Right Cover?Right advance unit?SPACER?

I found a new cover but i am wondering if it will be okay?

Also......found an advance unit.

How do i do the "Spacer" thingy???[-o<

Comment

I just converted my '83 550 to the Dyna S system. It takes a bit of work. I still have not modified my cover to fit. This requires making a spacer to shim the cover out about 1 cm. That cover you have linked from ebay will not fit as the bolt spacing is different. The mech. advance that you have there will work. You just need to know if its ND or KD, as they are different. IIRC, there's no science about which models had ND or KD, so just order it off ebay and wait for it to show up. Then once you know its ND or KD, you can order your Dyna S. It will have ND or KD stamped on it.

The mech advance will fit on your crank shaft fine with no shim. You will need a shim on the mech advance for the dyna s rotor, as it will have some slop on there. I made a shim out of a round brass shim bought at Lowes.

The big problem is the difference in plate mounting between models. Earlier models with adjustable timing had three screws to mount the timing plate. Our models have 2 screws. To correct this, I used the dyna s mounting plate as a template for a new aluminum plate, but used a drill and chainsaw file to make my own slots for timing adjustment. I then adjusted the timing by feel and sound, since our cranks had no mark for TDC.

Comment

1983 Gs550e.

Roughly What Does This Upgrade Cost?

Comment

Dyna S = $126 (z1, price with shipping)
                  Ebay Mech Advance ~ $20 with shipping
                  Shim material for cover ~$10 (I have not done this yet, I'm thinking of either 1/2" aluminum or a plastic cutting board, if it doesn't melt)
                  Brass tube for rotor shim ~$2

Plus some extra sheet aluminum if you make a timing plate like I did, plus all the tools to make the parts, and a few extra bucks for the little crap I've forgotten.

Comment

Thanks Much!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X