I assume..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume..

That a 16v head won't work on a 79 750-850? and if so, is there any gain? furthermore, what said head be worth? A gearhead I work with says he has one. I'm looking at bumping my 750 to an 850. In the process I'll be pondering valve work, seals, ect. Looking ahead, as this will be done over, yes it's going to come, winter. Just want to know what might work, what won't work, differences between heads, valves, pros and cons. At any rate. not a need be done, but my compression test has #3 at 95psi. Hey if I'm going in, go big, and I have found a possible buy for the top end.

Hi,

I've heard that you can drop a set of 850 jugs/pistons onto your 750 without too much difficulty. The 16v head won't work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

what kinda head does the gearhead have?

Comment

As bassclif said: "I've heard that you can drop a set of 850 jugs/pistons onto your 750 without too much difficulty." It is a direct fit and even the valves/springs in the 750 head are the same exact parts! POC!
        I did it, 28 years ago.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
          As bassclif said: "I've heard that you can drop a set of 850 jugs/pistons onto your 750 without too much difficulty." It is a direct fit and even the valves/springs in the 750 head are the same exact parts! POC!
          I did it, 28 years ago.

Eric
          ONLY from the 79 850...the 80 and on 850s require some grinding to the cases, a switch from VMs to BSs and yadda yadda yadda..

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            what kinda head does the gearhead have?
            That issue is under question. Are there any marking to identify it? If so I can take a look and let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
              That issue is under question. Are there any marking to identify it? If so I can take a look and let you know.
              First, what colour is it. Silver or black? Silver will be a pre 82 something, black would be 83 and up. Second, what does the valve cover look like?? Is it pretty rough with a lot of bolts kinda like yours, or is it real smooth with only a few large hex head flat bolts in it?? Really, the only way for US to tell is if you take a picture. Either way, it WONT EVER fit without SERIOUS (and pointless at that point) modification. Hey, anything can be MADE to fit if you have enough time and money. But, again, it would be easier, and probably far cheaper to buy an 16v 1100 motor, and shove it into your frame, and make THAT work than making a 16v head work on an 8v block. come to think of it...you'd probably find it easier to shove a WRX motor in your frame than to do that....

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                First, what colour is it. Silver or black? Silver will be a pre 82 something, black would be 83 and up. Second, what does the valve cover look like?? Is it pretty rough with a lot of bolts kinda like yours, or is it real smooth with only a few large hex head flat bolts in it?? Really, the only way for US to tell is if you take a picture. Either way, it WONT EVER fit without SERIOUS (and pointless at that point) modification. Hey, anything can be MADE to fit if you have enough time and money. But, again, it would be easier, and probably far cheaper to buy an 16v 1100 motor, and shove it into your frame, and make THAT work than making a 16v head work on an 8v block. come to think of it...you'd probably find it easier to shove a WRX motor in your frame than to do that....
                WRX...Hmmmmm. Anyhow, I haven't seen the head, was going to check what it was because I imaging someone might be looking for one

Comment

Working...
                X