Question about Battery charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Battery charging

I got my bike 3 weeks ago. Starts fine. I hooked up a multimeter to it and it shows about 11.7 when the bike is not running and 13.6 when brought to 2000rpms( I do not know how old the battery is). I just hooked it up to a 1amp trickle charger. How long should I keep it on, and what reading should I get? The acid levels are full.

Brian
    81 GS650G

What does it read when you rev it to around 4000 rpm?

Hap

Comment

I only did it to 4000 once. It read around 13.9-14

Comment

Originally posted by briang1
        I only did it to 4000 once. It read around 13.9-14
        Those are good numbers. It is fine. Are you having problems keeping the battery charged?

Hap

Comment

No, but I thought the battery should be at 12.6 when not running and 14.4 when rev up????

Comment

Should I take it off the charger???

Comment

I just rev it up to 4500 rpm it is charging at a rate of 13.08. Is that still within the limits?

Comment

I just rev it up to 4500 rpm it is charging at a rate of 13.08. Is that still within the limits?
                You are getting 14V at 4000 rpm and 13.08 at 4500? That does not sound right...something is wrong. You need to pull the three stator wires, put your meter on AC volts in the 120V scale and measure the voltage between each of the three wires... if the wires were lettered A, B, and C, you would measure the voltage between A and B, B and C, and A and C. You should get around 80V on each measurement. If not, turn the motorcycle off and turn your meter to the ohm scale and measure the resistance between each wire..if you get infinity anywhere then you have an open coil in the stator.

If you end up with 80 Volts between all three wires then your rectifier/regulator is probably bad.

Hap

Comment

ADD a extra ground wire to the reg mounting bolt to the (-) battery terminal This improves the reg ground and reg life.

Comment

I think I had confused, I thought it was charging at 13.9, but anywhere between 4000-5000 rpm it is charging at 13.09. It did not drop from 13.9 to 13.09, I just read the meter wrong, sorry. Is 13.09 OK??????

Comment

I think I had confused, I thought it was charging at 13.9, but anywhere between 4000-5000 rpm it is charging at 13.09. It did not drop from 13.9 to 13.09, I just read the meter wrong, sorry. Is 13.09 OK??????
                      No that is definately too low. Take Lynn's advice, add a ground, and check all your other grounds and make sure they are clean and making good contact. If you still have a charging level below about 13.8 @ 4000 rpm (and that is a little low) you need to trouble shoot the stator like I mentioned earlier.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                      X