Having doubts about model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having doubts about model

Since my initial post got erased I'll make this shorter 'cause I'm tired of typing. On a previous thread the esteemed members of the board had identified my bike as a G model. With that in mind I ordered a seat and tail piece (thanks sclavish) but they don't seem to fit. The seat wants to overlap the tail piece. But it starts at the tank - to me it looks like it's too long. So is this model a G or a GL? I was also concerned that the frame had no hinges for the seat (a al G) or brackets by the tank (a la GL)

Raz

Well, the straight forks and the single bolt that holds the back of the tank in place say "G".

What year was the bodywork for? I think there were some changes after the '81 model year,
    so the '79-'81 would be the same, and '82 and newer would be different.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

The "G" models have a shaft drive. If you don't have a chain then you have a shaft drive. Have you checked the sticker on the steering head for the model ID?

The front wheel/forks in the picture are from a regular "G" model and not a "GL" model.

Seat fitment was a little different between the 80-81 model years and the 82-83 models. In the picture, do I see a seat hinge that has been cut off?

Where did you get that tank? What bike was the tank from? How about a picture of your whole bike. That might help.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

The only thing I am sure of is that the frame # and engine # correspond to an '80 model (apparently Canadian models had VM carbs) which mine has. The seat and tail piece are from an '81 model. The seat seems to be fitting OK and the pan matches the one that the bike came with (as rusted as it was). The frame was painted by the PO so the only thing visible is the VIN. With the seat on the tail piece will not align with the holes for the screws. The tank I have no clue. Here are some more pics.

Thank you all,

Raz

Comment

Hi,

Sorry, I just noticed that we are talking about a non-US model.

The wheels and frame look pre-82 due to the spoke pattern and lack of chrome cover in front of the passenger pegs. But my lack of knowledge regarding non-US models requires me to shut up before my lack of knowledge shows even more.

The tank looks too long. Or maybe the mount points on the backbone are in a different place for the tank you have.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Well, for starters, Im pretty sure you have a GS1000E gas tank. The G models tanks all had offset filler caps, as well as the fact that the tanks were much larger, and taller. They also had beveled edges where the top rounds to the sides of the tank. Steve is partly correct in his G vs L mounting bits. The EARLY stuff, up untill 80, the only difference in the tank mounts were up front. They still BOTH had single rear bolts. In 80 and untill 82 i think they were slightly different, and then in 82, both the L and the G had TWO rear vertical bolts. The only diference then where the front mounts again. Your tank should be ok to continue to use, however you may have 1000 body work altoether, in which case, the seat and tail may not work, as the pans were completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              The only diference then where the front mounts again. Your tank should be ok to continue to use, however you may have 1000 body work altoether, in which case, the seat and tail may not work, as the pans were completely different.
              The tank fits well and I can make it connect to the mount on the frame. And by the looks of it I can actually trim the front of the tail piece to make it shorter and that will most likely fit as well (I might lose the storage compartment). The concern is that someone must have ground away all the frame mounting tabs and now I have to figure out a way to secure the seat. I guess I can weld some hinges on the frame to receive the ones on the seat.....

Comment

Originally posted by razooki View Post
                The tank fits well and I can make it connect to the mount on the frame. And by the looks of it I can actually trim the front of the tail piece to make it shorter and that will most likely fit as well (I might lose the storage compartment). The concern is that someone must have ground away all the frame mounting tabs and now I have to figure out a way to secure the seat. I guess I can weld some hinges on the frame to receive the ones on the seat.....
                Actually, bro, llooking at those pics again. the tank DOESNT fit correctly. It may be made to work, but its not supposed to leave that gap between the seat and tank. I think your seat is correct, but someone has swapped tanks on you. and THAT is whats causing the problem. Its too long. You should try to sell it to one of the guys on here, and buy the correct tank for your bike. It will make things MUCH MUCH easier to fit.

Comment

Actually, bro, llooking at those pics again. the tank DOESNT fit correctly. It may be made to work, but its not supposed to leave that gap between the seat and tank. I think your seat is correct, but someone has swapped tanks on you. and THAT is whats causing the problem. Its too long. You should try to sell it to one of the guys on here, and buy the correct tank for your bike. It will make things MUCH MUCH easier to fit.
                  But I kinda like the way it looks - oversized!!

Comment

But I kinda like the way it looks - oversized!!
                    Believe me, the PROPER tank is MUCH larger than that one. That bike used the same tank thats on my 1000G...its like 5.4 gallons or something...HUGE. Just not as long, much taller.

Comment

aww. 5.4 gallons? what the frack? i've never put more than 4.5 in my 1100

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                        aww. 5.4 gallons? what the frack? i've never put more than 4.5 in my 1100
                        Have you ever run it out?? I think that thing holds 5.8! My 1100G did, according to the manual.

Comment

Believe me, the PROPER tank is MUCH larger than that one. That bike used the same tank thats on my 1000G...its like 5.4 gallons or something...HUGE. Just not as long, much taller.
                          Ok, I'll send up a flare in the Classifieds. According to bikebandit I'm looking for a 79-81 GS850G or a 1980 GS1000GT tank. Any other years/model that will interchange? (with a proper fit this time).

Thanks,

Raz

Comment

Wrong tank for sure. Another thing I noticed is that the front brake rotor screws should have a locking tab plate under them. Looks like a parts bin special...nothing wrong with that as long as the bike is safe to ride.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok, I'll send up a flare in the Classifieds. According to bikebandit I'm looking for a 79-81 GS850G or a 1980 GS1000GT tank. Any other years/model that will interchange? (with a proper fit this time).

Thanks,

Raz
                              Nope, thoser the ones. The nice thing is, there were a BUTT load of the 850s made, so SOMEONE should have a tank for ya. If the tank you have is in GOOD shape, post it up for sale, one of the 1000 guys is ALWAYS looking for a nice one. That should give you some bucks, even if you have to resort to Ebay (LOTS of em on there last I looked)

Comment

Working...
                              X