Idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle problem

When I start my bike (81' gs550L) up cold, I use the choke, wait til it revs up and slowly push the choke in. At that point it idles great. After I'm on the road for a while and pull up to a stop, the idle is a lot higher, like around 2000. If I try to turn the idle screw down it will idle down and kill. What's the deal?

Northwoods

Did you sync the carbs? Did you clean them per the carb cleaning series? Most likely there's an intake leak somewhere. Did you replace the intake boot o-rings? Try carefully spraying some starting fluid around the boots on both sides of the carbs. Any effect on idle = air leak.

Comment

Carbs have been synced, cleaned. I have new intake boots and rings on.

Comment

mine has been doing that as well, im not happy, i think its because the fuel level is low it only does it when im low on fuel ,and use reserve

Comment

Hi,

I concur. It sure sounds like an air intake leak. If you've already replaced the intake boots and O-rings between the carbs and the head, what about the boots between the airbox and carbs? How about the airbox itself? It should also be sealed up tight as well as the air filter cage.

Could it be a sticky throttle cable? Sticky slides?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X