R/R Test Reveals Reverse Flow??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R Test Reveals Reverse Flow??

Today I tested my R/R which I'm thinking is the reason why I'm not getting spark. I set 2 different digital multimeters to the "diode test" setting and put the positive lead on the red lead of the R/R and the negative lead to the yellow wire and got nothing (one meter read OL and the other read the constant 1 on the left of the screen). Now, when I reversed it, THEN I got something, which is where I NOT suppose to get anything, correct? Screen read .03 bad R/R correct?

Hi,

Basically, diodes allow electricity to flow in one direction, but not the other. If you are testing a diode with a multimeter and get continuity in one direction (+ to -) but not the other (- to +), the component is behaving properly. However, it's been my observances that these r/r tests are not conclusive and you must test the entire charging system to be sure. In other words, if the stator has the proper output but the r/r does not, the r/r is bad.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I can't really test the entire system since the bike isn't running. She'll turn over fine, but I don't have spark.

I also don't have a battery which is why I'm having these problems to begin with. When I got the bike and got it to run, I was jumping it with a 40 amp battery charger and like an idiot, I forgot to turn off the charger when I got the bike started. It ran up to about 4000 rpm's, sputtered a lot, then the left side ignition coils puked (I realized what I had done at this point). I tried it again after removing the coil just to make sure everything was ok, but I turned off the charger this time and removed the clamps, she idled fine for 15 or so seconds and then died. No spark. When I tried to see if the right plug was getting spark, and both plugs with the new coils, the starter butten did nothing. The controls needed replaced anyway since they were old and trashy and I got the new controls hard wired in last week and the button now works, but still haven't tracked down the no spark deal.

I took off the stator cover today (and drained the oil as well, needed it done) and visually inspected the stator, LOOKS good, but I didn't get around to test it for sure.It just seems strange that the R/R will read in the reverse direction that it should, and not read in the correct direction.

Btw, your site helps a lot! Been reading through the stator papers to try to nail this thing down and I'm *at least* close (and closer than I was!).
      Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2009, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Bike should spark just fine with the reg disconnected, I don't think it is your problem but give it a try. Check for 12 volts at the coils

Comment

I'll to that fist thing tomorrow then when I get into the garage. Could I have fried the stator or the ignitor? The stator is what I'm worried about, but it did run on one cylinder strongly, just for a short amount of time until it died.

Comment

Diodes are checked in reverse, that is black meter lead to the red of the RR and the red meter lead to each of the three yellows one at a time will allow you to check the diodes. At least the first three.

Reverse this and connect the red meter lead to the ground wire of the RR and connect the black meter lead to each of the yellow wires and you can check the other 3 diodes. There are 6 total. Should read about 500 - 700 ohms this way, and should indicate an open If the leads are reversed. As Basscliff points out, they are one way devices.

Bad RRs are common on Suzuki bikes, I offer Honda RR replacement kits but currently I am out of stock.

Here is a diagram that might help explain how the RR works, It is for the Honda with a separate sense wire that measures the voltage of the bike but the Suzuki uses a similar arrangement as far as the diodes are concerned

1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

My R/R only has one yellow wire? The stator papers stated to disconnect the R/R from the bike to do the test, like not on the bike at all? Or did I not test it correctly?

Comment

YOu might have white/red or white/blue wires too. Basically if the wires are not red or black they are stator leads and connect to the diodes inside.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Ok, that's good then because I got about the same readings for those ones. I was confused about the stator papers telling me to test it with 3 yellow wires off the R/R so I tested those ones. I'm going to go ahead an get a used stock R/R from 4rcFed just so I can get the bike running until I can get a Electrosport stator and R/R. Going to have to get this this running soon since my demening State Farm agent put me up as high risk and dropped my truck (as of this upcoming August 18th even though both of my speeding tickets and 2 deer where in the quiet little car, can't feel it or hear it, it puts me to sleep and I have to drive it 160 miles every day....).

Eventually, I plan to replace all the replacebles on the bike, clean the carbs soon, strip it and paint it. Then later on I'd like ti hardtail it and make a sweet little bobber out of it. But one thing at a time right?

Does anyone have the like to the multi-page thread showing what other R/R's will work with our bikes? I have a boneyard nearby and the R/R is probably a longshot, but just incase the new used one I'm going to get goes south before I can get the Electrosport one.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2009, 01:39 AM.

Comment

I also don't have a battery which is why I'm having these problems to begin with. When I got the bike and got it to run, I was jumping it with a 40 amp battery charger and like an idiot, I forgot to turn off the charger when I got the bike started. It ran up to about 4000 rpm's, sputtered a lot, then the left side ignition coils puked (I realized what I had done at this point).
                    Running and starting a bike in this way is a sure way to damage your electronic components and even the charging system. My take is never ever start a bike designed to have a battery without one, especially not with a battery charger on 40A boost!

Comment

With some of those "boost" chargers, they get their starting power by upping the voltage.

Depending on their capacity, when you connect the booster to your bike, your r/r will try desperately to regulate it, sometimes unsuccessfully.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And remember, if you do boost off of a car battery, LEAVE THE CAR OFF!!!! A Cars Alternator WILL cook your R/R

Comment

Not sure it was made perfectly clear to you, but your charging system components (R/R, stator) are not directly connected to your ignition system. You should be able to diagnose and repair your ignition problem with just a fully charged battery (use a trickle or 2-amp charger).

Once you have the ignition problem squared away and the bike is running, then check your charging system. You really need to have the bike running to check the charging voltage. Simply check the voltage at the battery terminals, if they don't go when the revs go up, you have a charging problem. Then go thru the stator papers.

Comment

I actually would have used a battery, but the only one I had was from a parts truck with a large hole in the top of it and the one from my brother's car with a busted cell. I realize 100% that I was an idiot in leaving the charger on the bike while the engine was running (wishin' I hadn't done that, lol). I started with 2A on the chargerm but not enough juice to roll the starter over.

So if a fried componant in charging system isn't to blame for the lack of spark, what may be? Coils are new used, goods ones from Ryan, even have NGK boots on them, but still no spark. Ignitor? Watching the video that I took of it running on one cylinder, I realized that at the moment I found out that the rod for the clutch was held together by JB Weld and it boke. I tried to put the bike in gear and it lurched and died, of course. I'll have to go fiddle around with it some more this afternoon. It would have really helped if my moron brother and the guy that had it before him didn't spray paint everything including the wires.

Comment

Think that a faulty starter relay that will still allow the motor to crank could be at fault?

I just used jumper cables from the battery on our golf cart to test things. Cart battery read 27.5V, relay read the same, tested about 23V to the coil harnesses for either side with the key on.

And how do I test the coils?

The bike didn't do anything, even make a noise when I hit the starter button with the battery hooked up, but I hooked the charger up just for a sec to see and it clicked and finally rolled the engine over so I disconnect the charger and got straight on here.

Comment

Working...
                              X