R/R Test Reveals Reverse Flow??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
    That should give you the voltage drop across the wiring to the coils.
    That's the voltage drop we are trying to minimize to get maximum spark performance out of the coil, correct?

Considering that the current to the coils (at least on my 1980 GS750ET) travels through the positive battery cable, the main fuse contacts, the ignition switch contacts, the ignition fuse contacts, the engine kill switch contacts, eight connectors, and several yards of wires, what would an acceptable voltage drop on this circuit be?

Likewise, the ground side of the coil primary travels through three connectors, the ignitor unit, several feet of wire, the bike frame, and the battery ground cable. Any voltage drop in this circuit is going to take voltage away from the coil also. What kind of a voltage drop would be acceptable on the ground side?

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
      That's the voltage drop we are trying to minimize to get maximum spark performance out of the coil, correct?

Considering that the current to the coils (at least on my 1980 GS750ET) travels through the positive battery cable, the main fuse contacts, the ignition switch contacts, the ignition fuse contacts, the engine kill switch contacts, eight connectors, and several yards of wires, what would an acceptable voltage drop on this circuit be?

Likewise, the ground side of the coil primary travels through three connectors, the ignitor unit, several feet of wire, the bike frame, and the battery ground cable. Any voltage drop in this circuit is going to take voltage away from the coil also. What kind of a voltage drop would be acceptable on the ground side?
      To tell you the truth, I have no idea what voltage drop would be acceptable. All I can say is the obvious - you want to minimize this drop. Sorry, I just don't have any data.

Comment

Working...
      X