82 gs1100glz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs1100glz

Here is my problem, it wont start. I have followed the carb cleaning to a T. Twice. It will only start when I blow air into the overflow tubes. even then.... nothing much. I have cleaned and know i need to sync but since the POS wont start..... I am really really frustrated. I am not familiar with lots of the parts but have figured a lot out. Please help. I am about to give up and sell this beast. if their is more to cleaning then just what is in the 20+ Pages given please let me know. I have replaced all the O rings and the petcock. New Plugs and a fresh battery.

Greg
    Rochester NY

have you primed the carbs using the prime function on the petcock??? Im sure you have but it never hurts to ask. Secondly, where are your idle adjustment screws set??? Try them at 2 turns out to start. Also, obviously, setting the choke will help, but im sure you knew that too. And, did you at least BENCH sync the carbs?? They'll need to be SOMEWHAT close in sync to get a good start. Thats pretty important. Ive never gotten a GOOD bench sync out of the CV carbs, but ive at least gotten them to start.

Comment

HI Greg,

Tell us a little about your bike & its past history... was it running before you embarked on the carb cleaning??

Don't give up just yet, give us a chance to help.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Neglected (tight) valve clearances can also make starting nearly impossible.

And make sure the airbox is hooked up, properly sealed, etc. The shafties usually won't even start without the airbox in place.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

A wet/dry compression test will check for valve issues.. have you checked their clearancese yet?

When you "blow" into the vent hoses your forceing fuel into the intake. Your quick fire then die.. did you use that can of Berryman? Kinda indicates to me theres passages still plugged in the carb bodies.
          Whats the brass look like? Really needs to be bright an shiny, if not.. replace it!

Bench sync is critical.. and not hard to do. Use a wire guage instead of flat ones, actually, any smooth hard wire will work. The trick is make all the throttle plate openings equal.

As an owner of an 82 1100L I do know it WILL start without the airbox.. sounds awesome when it does!

Comment

Thank You

AIRBOX!!!! Ah HA! This seemed to make more life. I will get this SOB running yet!!!! Thanks My clearances are very close. Thanks again any other help with this bike would be appreciated.

Greg
            Rochester. NY

Comment

Working...
            X