No announcement yet.

Stator "Cross Referance" and other question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look what I found when I opened up my left crankcase today.
    The Stator had a broken and frayed wire just hanging out in there. Another wire was missing some of it's insulation.
    Screws were missing and loose.

Broken wire and missing insulation.

Red circles were loose screws. Blue circle screw was missing.

When I took the stator out one of the wires broke where it went into the shielding. On the backside of the stator there is insulation missing from one of the wires where it starts it's windings. The PO must have "tried" to replace the stator. It's sad when someone doesn't do the job right.

Other than those issues the stator and windings look brand new. No cooked wires. no gross oil on it. I wish I could salvage it. But I think I will rewind it just to make sure.

I will finish hooking up all the wires and relay mod in the morning. And check the charging system.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2009, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Sure, why can't you just re-solder and shrinktube the broken part of the wire? From what I see, that stator is probably not cooked. The stator itself should have three screws holding it into the cover. The stator wires should go under that panel on the bottom of the cover. The panel keeps the wires out of the way of the magnet rotor. The other two missing screws should have little holder brackets. They're not necessarily critical, but help hold the wires in place so that they don't vibrate and rub off the insulation. See my stator replacement guide for lots of pictures.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

one of the 17 gauge copper wires that starts the winding on the bottom of the stator is missing it's insulation.

I already got a good one off of Ebay and put it in. It had everything I needed to do this one correct. I used "red" loctite on all of the screws inside. The "new" stator had the protective sleeve in great condition.

Comment

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!

13.68 at 2500 rpm
          13.70 at 5000 rpm

starts right up and purrrss.

except for my little backfire I need to fix. But that will wait till this winter. I'll clean carbs and put new intake "gasket rings" on. And clean the air filter.

Thanks, everyone for your help and advice.

Comment

Working...
          X