Stator "Cross Referance" and other question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator "Cross Referance" and other question

I have a 80 GS850GLT and I need to replace the stator. I found one on Ebay for a 78 GS750 and was wondering if it would fit? Is there somewhere I can find what years and parts are compatible?

Also is there a way to check the r/r unit? I found how to check the stator (that's how I know I have to replace it) but I could not find how to check the R/R?

Should I replace both R/R and stator no matter what? or can I replace just the suspect part?

Thanks in advance,
    Marc

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website:

Suzuki Chart: Battery, Plugs, Tire, Chain, Sprockets
    and Parts Cross-Reference

I've also heard of a magical document called "The Stator Papers" that has all kinds of troubleshooting procedures for charging system components.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2009, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Try these models. They all use the same stator as your bike. It looks like you are out of luck with the '78 GS750 stator.

Part # = 31401-45120
      Part Description = STATOR ASSEMBLY
      Model Count = 23

GSX750EZ 1982 747 GSX750E STREET
      GSX750SD 1983 747 GSX750S KATANA SPORT
      GSX750TD 1983 747 GSX750T STREET
      GS650GD 1983 673 GS650G KATANA STREET
      GS650GLD 1983 673 GS650GL STREET
      GS650GLX 1981 673 GS650GL STREET
      GS650GLZ 1982 673 GS650GL STREET
      GS650GTD 1983 673 GS650GT STREET
      GS650GTZ 1982 673 GS650GT STREET
      GS650GX 1981 673 GS650G KATANA STREET
      GS750ET 1980 748 GS750E STREET
      GS750EX 1981 748 GS750E STREET
      GS750LT 1980 748 GS750L STREET
      GS750LX 1981 748 GS750L STREET
      GS750TZ 1982 748 GS750T STREET
      GS850GD 1983 844 GS850G STREET
      GS850GLD 1983 844 GS850GL STREET
      GS850GLT 1980 844 GS850GL STREET
      GS850GLX 1981 844 GS850GL STREET
      GS850GLZ 1982 844 GS850GL STREET
      GS850GT 1980 844 GS850G STREET
      GS850GX 1981 844 GS850G STREET
      GS850GZ 1982 844 GS850G STREET
      Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2009, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Why not rewind your own stator. There are a couple of threads on the forum at the present time that will point you in the right direction. Doesn't appear too difficult. Only costs about 30 bucks I believe.

Comment

I have seen many of the '79-and-older bikes using 12-pole stators, while the '80-and-newer bikes use the 18-pole stators. While each works well enough in its intended application, they cannot be exchanged. To use the other type of stator, you will also have to change the rotor/flywheel to match, as they have a different number of magnets to match the number of poles on the stator.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, for your help.

Bass Cliff that is a great resource for cross referencing. Can anyone please list the URL for the stator rewind. I'll do a search, but just in case I can't find it.

Thanks,
            Marc

Comment

ok found the stator rewind page. :0)

Thanks Again

Comment

I keep finding ones that won't work I found a 83 gs450 stator on ebay. It doesn't look like it will work either. I"m having trouble finding the 17guage wire to rewind my stator.. this is when I don't like living in a small town LOL

Comment

Here's a better link for the rewind
                  Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Hi,

From the "Electrical Odds and Ends" section of my website (blue text is click-able):

Stator Rewinding

Using the stator rewinding guide in the Garage Section of The GS Resources Mr. Nerobro documents his stator rewinding experience in this thread on the GSR Forum.

I'm just trying to collect the best of the best and keep it somewhat organized on my website in case I ever need it. But I like to share too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2009, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Thank you guys for the links, very helpful. Now to just find the wire nearby so it will be cost effective :0)

Comment

I found this stator new http://www.electrosport.com/products...detail-410.php, and it says it works for certain bikes. does that mean if I find one of those year stators used that it will work for my bike? In the link above if you click on the Suzuki it shows it works for a 83 GS450

so this should work right?
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2009, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Well I ended up finding a good stator and cover for a 82 GS750E I "think" will work. Not sure how the "E" models are different from the "G" or "GL", or the "GS" from "GSX". Checking the cross references it had a 82 GSX750E and GS750E of different years.

I received my stator today and it checks out good following the stator papers. But I did notice the cover said "TSCC" <--- something else new to me LOL watch this be the thing that makes "THIS" stator not work with my bike. I know I can sell it for what I got it for if it doesn't work.

Also I was checking my "new" R/R that I got from another GSRer and it has the same reading as my R/R on my bike which is also what Crash-Harris stated his R/R metered out at on his thread:
                          This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

digital multimeters to the "diode test" setting and put the positive lead on the red lead of the R/R and the negative lead to the yellow wire and got nothing.

In the stator papers It says I should be getting 1.5V. All other test come out fine according to the stator papers.

Is my R/R and the one I just received bad?

Thanks again,
                          Marc

Comment

Originally posted by prpldude View Post
                            In the stator papers It says I should be getting 1.5V. All other test come out fine according to the stator papers.
                            I just did a stator/R&R replacement on mine last week. I never got either of my regulators to show that 1.5V either. I first used the old R&R, tehn replaced it with the new R&R just in case, and both work fine.

Comment

propflux, Thanks so much for your insight. I will be replacing my stator and finishing my coil relay mod tomorrow. I'll keep the R/R just in case.

Comment

Working...
                              X