Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever install an ignition kill switch for security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody ever install an ignition kill switch for security?

I used to have kill switches in my old cars and was thinking of putting one on my 77ggs550, but since the electrics are so sensitive I don't know where to cut into and what to cut into without messing up anything. I also have had switches burn out and would need a high quality switch which is weather resistant. Any suggestions?

Re: Anybody ever install an ignition kill switch for securit

Originally posted by 77gs550
    I used to have kill switches in my old cars and was thinking of putting one on my 77ggs550, but since the electrics are so sensitive I don't know where to cut into and what to cut into without messing up anything. I also have had switches burn out and would need a high quality switch which is weather resistant. Any suggestions?
    your bike should already have a kill switch((standard equipment)) I would put the additional secret switch in series with that switch

Comment

Yeah, I wanted to add an additinal kill to the plain sight visible one on the right grip. A hidden kill for security/anti-theft. I will see if I can trace the wires from there to some hidden spot. Does it matter which one I cut into? I doubt it but just want to think before I cut. I've heard of people putting one under the seat. Thanks

Comment

It doesn't matter which one you cut in to, but it is easier to do it one way over another.

The kill switch feeds power from the ignition fuse to the coils and ignitor box. (orange/white wire on my bike) It is normally closed and turns off when opened. You can run another switch off the ignition fuse to feed the kill switch, that is probably the easiest side to work on. You should find a connector just before a mult-wire plug under the tank.

Or you can put a similar switch off the main ignition feed so nothing works at all. This is probably the best choice for theft avoidance. It is fairly easy to steal a GS simply by jumping the main fuse to the ignition fuse.

To do this you cut into the return wire, between the ignition switch and the fuse block. This wire feeds all the fuses, so switching it here stops the lot.

On my GS1000 the wire from the battery and through the main fuse to the ignition is red, and the return wire is orange. It is the orange wire you cut into. The orange wire feeds three fuses and comes out of them as orange/white, orange/green, and orange/red wires.

If you put the switch somewhere near the left rear shocker you can turn it off while putting the bike on the centre stand without it being obvious to anyone else where the switch is. Depends on where you hold the bike with your right hand.

Just be sure the switch does not operate itself on bumpy roads. Kill switches that suddenly cut power when you are out riding can be dangerous. For this reason some kill switches are set up as double operation solenoids, so when the motor is running it won't turn off. When the motor is stopped the kill switch can work.

Kim

Comment

Great info, thanks a million. I will let you know when I have it done. The rear shock area sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Working...
          X