Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting my seat recovered have you used Sargent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my seat recovered have you used Sargent?

I am looking at Sargent seat company and have had some correspondance with them about customizing my seat. Has anyone had dealings with them and can you advize good or bad? I wan't the seat for my GS 1000 L to get cut down and firmed up and lower the passenger seat to just a little higher than the driver seat. Thanks for any info.

I bought a cover kit with the foam when I had the 83 1100. It was cheap and easy to do myself. I think the foam and cover was less than $70 shipped to my door. Big improvement over stock. I am sure having them do the work will be just as pleasant as my experience.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'm gonna get them to customize the seat for me, cut it down for the passenger area and firmer foam. Gonna use the fiber seat vinyl cover. I think it's gonna be kinda expensive, about 250. plus shipping so now I'm at that point of looking at a local shop and see if they are any cheaper and if they can do what I want.
      Did you get all new foam replacement, mines wore out pretty well? Could you post a pic? Thanks Sachsaca.

Comment

I purchased some of the Super Cell foam pieces earlier this year from them. I have about 2500 miles on the seat and I am still getting used to it. Wazz also installed some on his KMW and he is also still getting used to it and less happy with it than I am and might go back to some regular foam. It is not quite as hard as a Corbin seat but pretty d*mn firm. The pieces are about $ 20.00 each plus shipping. You can pull the old cover off and use an electric carving knife to cut down your stock seat. You might want to try out a piece first to see if you like it for the 20 plus price.
        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

I had two done . One for my 1100 and one for the 700. I worked with Rudi on both. They did a terrific job.

Comment

Sold to the man from Carolina !!! That is very nice

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              I had two done . One for my 1100 and one for the 700. I worked with Rudi on both. They did a terrific job.
              That looks gorgeous. Do you mind my asking how much and if that "basketweave" style material is waterproof?

Comment

Here's a little more seat info for you.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post

Those are exceptionally well fitted seat covers Joe; I have to say also with all the popularity of the Corbin Seats, in contrast they have a particularly poor workmanship even through the materials and design seem to be to be top notch.

Comment

They did my seat almost twenty years ago and it has held up very well. I'm considering (it's still looks great) sending it back this winter to have it done again.
                    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Sargent made up a seat cover for my GS750ES about five years ago, top notch work and it has held up very well. The bike is outside a lot, often loaded down with bags and camping gear and the seat has even taken a few falls to concrete and pavement with no signs of wear or damage. If I had to pay for one I'd go with them again in a heartbeat!

You can see pics of my pic if you click the link in my sig.

/\/\ac

Comment

Building a seat

I just bought some Closed Cell PVC Foam, designated for Cycle seats,
                        at an Upolstery & Foam Shop in Holly Hill, FL.
                        Cheap, @ $15 for a 1" thick slab that was 18" x 55".

The stock foam in 80's vintage Suzy seats was way too soft, IMHO.
                        And after ~30 years, it was getting pretty 'dusty' too.

That 1/2 yd quantity is good for about 2-3 layers on a double GS1000E Seat.
                        It is however, quite amazing how difficult it is to create a comfortable
                        seat working up from the convoluted seat pan. Is that a Pea I feel in there?

There is 1/2" thick PVC Foam available too.
                        I'm figuring on $35-$45 in materials total, since the cover is re-usable.

Yet, that Sargent is one nice piece of Kit !

Comment

Sargent is whom I am 99.9% sure did my seat 20yrs ago. Excellent outfit out of FLA if so. I shipped them my seat, they shipped it back apx week later.

This is how their work looks after 20yrs on my bike. Not bad eh? Only the material covering the piping is starting to fade/come off. Pretty impressive to me. I would totally use them again.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Working...
                          X