Gas coming out of carbs and air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas coming out of carbs and air box

I changed to a manual petcock. I'm staying at a friends house and made sure I turned it off before coming in last night. Walk out this morning and theres a puddle from where carb 1 and 2 leaked from the motor side (I guess I still have an air leak and I put it on the side stand.) it's also leaking out of the air box. And the gas is off how can it still be leaking this much gas. Would I be able to drive this home 2 or 3 miles through some stop lights to get to my tools or are the tools going to have to come to it?

I may stop driving it over here because the last time I did it drove over fine, much like last night, and went home with a tear in the number 2 boot. I knew it was running like crap and was having to give it more gas but didn't know I was driving on 3 cylinders. Did I mess up something by doing that? Could that have sucked my floats so hard it changed the float height?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2009, 11:31 AM.

Sounds to me like your petcock is not really off. Put a seperate hose on it and run it into a coffee can. Leave it off overnight and see if you get gas in the can.

As for the engine, you either need to check you float height or replace a faulty needle & seat. With the bike on the side stand it's no wonder that the problem appeared in #1 & 2. But I would also check the other two carbs as well.

Final Q. Did you get any gas in the crankcase? Better check that before you fire it up again.

Comment

I guess as you were typing I went out and pulled the hose off the valve and sure enough the gas is still dripping out when turned to off. So there's my how. I think I'm going to fix this all over here and then I don't have to worry about gas in the motor. A briggs and stratton shut off and an oil change will get me home and I can digg into the carbs and get whats needed on order.

For the future how do I check if gas is in the crank case? I've had something similar happen before and I didn't really know how to check. I just unscrewed the oil and tried to smell but as I said didn't even know. I guess I just got lucky because as far as the motor being good as is well.

Comment

You would definately notice the smell of gas if you removed the oil filler cap. Alos, looking at the oil level window would give you a clue. Unless you over-filled the oil level previously, you would now see the window shows a much higher level.

Comment

check your vens lines on the carbs. I accidently plugged them and had gas pouring out of my carbs. Unplugging them fixed my issued right away.

Comment

Working...
          X