What have happend?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have happend?????

I have just checked my valves (GSX 750 ES 16Valve),All was within the limit,Put a new gasket and a thin film of gasket bond between head-gasket-cover.When i started the engine it seems to be more noise then before.And i went for a ride, gave it full acceleration missed a gear and it went up to the red on the tach,Suddenly there is a small knocking noise inside the valve cover.You can hear it best when it idles.Please adwise.

Originally posted by Tompasio View Post
    I have just checked my valves (GSX 750 ES 16Valve),All was within the limit,Put a new gasket and a thin film of gasket bond between head-gasket-cover.When i started the engine it seems to be more noise then before.And i went for a ride, gave it full acceleration missed a gear and it went up to the red on the tach,Suddenly there is a small knocking noise inside the valve cover.You can hear it best when it idles.Please adwise.
    open it up and look
    an adjuster may have come loose or the adjustern nut may have come off

Comment

ohhhhh ouch... well, without hearing it, there could be a NUMBER of different things making the racket. You might not have tightened your tappet adjusters down enough, and one or more have come loose. Sounds like a car head with bunk lifters. Or, you could have spun a bearing on the crank/conrod... never heard of the 83 and on motors doin it, but, I suppose when you wack it passed redline, its possible. Id start by pulling the valve cover and having a look at your tappet lock nuts.. and work your way down... WHERE does the noise seem to be coming from exactly?? If its more of a hammering noise, then things are not lookin good for you sir..Wont know without lookin... If it was louder than before, why did you take off on it?

Comment

Nothing to add except use a screwdriver as a stethoscope and try to pinpoint its location.

Comment

Thanks Cafe Kid

I lift off the valve cover,and yes one of the tappet adjuster was not in place,It had unscrewed itself totaly and laid down on the head.I was able to fish it up with a steel wire and a plier.Now i has tightended it and did a new valve clearence check.All is in 0.10mm with cold engine.But still it tick some at idle.But i think that is in order with these engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Tompasio View Post
            I lift off the valve cover,and yes one of the tappet adjuster was not in place,It had unscrewed itself totaly and laid down on the head.I was able to fish it up with a steel wire and a plier.Now i has tightended it and did a new valve clearence check.All is in 0.10mm with cold engine.But still it tick some at idle.But i think that is in order with these engines.

is that the outer limit of the specification?
            I mean did you adjust them as loosely as possible?

and was it the whole adjuster screw and nut or just the nut that came off?

Comment

Clearence is 0.08-0.13mm,Whole adjuster screw and nut came off.

Comment

DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON...
                you was very lucky sir.

Comment

Luck is usually only good once, did you torque all of the locknuts correctly?
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah,Now i really did it.

Comment

Next time you have to fish something out of the engine, get a TELESCOPING magnet. It will make life MUCH easier! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X