Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question about kickstand

Greetings,

I joined the GS ranks a week ago when I bought a 1982 GS 1100. My other bike that I've had for years is an Intruder 800. Talk about a difference in mass!

Here's my question. On my Intruder, when I put the bike on the kickstand, I know that the wind isn't going to blow it over. There's a very decided lean to the left when it's on the kickstand. The GS, however, is another matter. I swear the bike seems about ready to fall over on its right side, it stands so straight up when it's on the kickstand.

Is it normal for the GS to stand almost vertical when it's on the kickstand? Or is it simply something that I notice just because the Intruder's lean is so much more pronounced?

Ron

Ron,
    I do not know for sure. I will just say that my 1100 leans over a good amount on sidestand. Make sure your has not been changed with a different one or maybe see if it has a different mounting plate installed or something.

Anyone else have a better clue than what I can give. :roll:
    Michael

Comment

Don't know about the 1100, but my GS's lean quite a bit, I think they lean more then the used to when new as there is quite a bit of slop on my stands. On the 700, I can put a 2 inch block under it, and have it be close to vertical, but still stay upright.

Comment

I can put a 2 inch block under it, and have it be close to vertical, but still stay upright.
        Me too.

Comment

my 550 sits up pretty straight on the kickstand...the way to get it to lean over more, is turn the handle bars to the left a bit and roll the front out of a straight line (left a bit) from the rear.

normally i just leave mine sitting straight up, handle bars straight, and its fine.

~Adam

Comment

Ron,
            Check that the bolt the kickstand pivots on is not worn excessively or been improperly replaced.
            My 1150 does just what your talking about because of this. To make it lean (to were I'm comfortable that it won't tip over to the right) I have to pull the stand outward before setting the bike's weight on it.
            If you put the bike on the centerstand and flip out the side stand you shouldn't be able to rotate it to far.

Comment

My GK' leans almost too much on the side stand, scares me it will tip all the way, but never does.... :twisted:

Comment

I park beside a bunch of bikes including an 81 GS1100E and it's lean angle is the same as the rest. Mine on the other hand has a worn out sidestand pin so it looks like it will fall over...I use the centre stand instead.

Steve

Comment

My 1100G does the same thing, and it makes me wonder sometimes also. Karens 550 leans too far so I guess it is trying to make up for it. Bill

Comment

Also check to see if your front forks and rear shocks extend all the way out when you park. I have had 2 different rear shocks lock up on me in a compressed position and make it real hard to put the sidestand down OR get it up on the center stand......

Comment

GS 1100's do stand up pretty straight, you can use a sidestand from a 82 GS 750, it is about 3/4 of an inch shorter and it will lean over to the left a little more. It is a direct replica of the 1100 and all springs and bolts are the same, it is just shorter.

8) Dr. Dre 8)

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                        Also check to see if your front forks and rear shocks extend all the way out when you park. I have had 2 different rear shocks lock up on me in a compressed position and make it real hard to put the sidestand down OR get it up on the center stand......
                        Yeah, that's what I was going to offer. My forks are worn and When I park I can pull up on the froks and get a better lean angle. Incase anyone is wondering, I am ordering another set of forks

Comment

Working...
                        X