fender woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fender woes

Soooo...I finally found a front fender for my 79 850. and my luck..Im assuming it came off an L model..16" front wheel as opposed to my 17". proof that one missed bit of research can make even a simple thing like bolting up a new fender a hassle. Man this bike has been a learning experience. eased by the gang heres helpful advice. fortunately theres a salvage yard here with literally dozens of old GSs. but can anyone give me some pointers on distinguishing models that are missing the obvious badges and side covers?
    Thanks, Ta2Mike

16" front wheel as opposed to my 17"
    I've never seen an L with a 16" front wheel, most came with a 19" front, 16" rear.

Comment

Even worse is that your 850L should NOT have a 17" front wheel. They're all 19" fronts. The only 16" wheels would have come from:

83 and on 550E/ES/EF/L
      83 and on 750E/ES/EF etc
      84 and on 1150E/ES/EF etc

Comment

well there may be the issue..errors in my research/measurements. hmmm mustve misread something pretty bad. pretty sure i remembered reading something about the wheel sizes being different..not really sure where the numbers came from i guess

Comment

Both G and GL models all have 19" front wheels, but the fender from a GL model has different mounting points.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X