Clutch Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Problem

Had a problem with my clutch on the way home from work today. I own a GS650GL '82, just for reference. As I was moving, i tried to shift from 2nd to 3rd and it felt as though the clutch just gave way. I thought at first that the cable from the clutch lever had broken. When I got home (slow ride in 2nd gear), I found that this was the case. However, as I got looking at it, the clutch arm out of the cover (the thing the cable attaches to) moves freely, there is no tension on it whatsover. I am wondering what would make the clutch lever AND the arm on the crankcase cover simultaneously lose tension? I am very confused and would appreciate any help at all.

Is the arm engaged in the splines of the shaft properly? I have seen lots of shifter arms left untightened and they slip a tooth. If not I guess you will have to pull the cover off and have a look.

Comment

The clutch lever will feel really loose when your not pulling on the pressure plate fighting the springs. It will be extremely hard to pull the lever with your fingers. when you get the new cable on adjust it to wear you have just a little play in the handle and you should be good.

Comment

also,
        make sure your worm is happy

Comment

The splines on the clutch arm are still intact and the whole rod going into the cover moves freely. I am pretty sure something came loose inside the cover. I will pull the cover soon and take a look. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would have possibly come loose so suddenly? I ask just so I have a starting point as to what to look for once i pull the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            The splines on the clutch arm are still intact and the whole rod going into the cover moves freely. I am pretty sure something came loose inside the cover. I will pull the cover soon and take a look. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would have possibly come loose so suddenly? I ask just so I have a starting point as to what to look for once i pull the cover.
            your worm may not be happy.
            check it to.

Comment

im serious...
              ok go to the sprocket cover on your bike(left side).
              there is a smaller cover with screws holding it to the sprocket cover.
              remove the small cover and look closely.
              there is a jam nut and a slotted adjuster.
              see if the jam nut is finger tight..if its tight it did not cause your problems.
              either way...
              this adjuster needs to be adjusted properly when you get your new cable on and whatever else your doing to it.
              as far as the worms comments go..
              the adjuster i just desrcibe is your "WORM gear adjuster".
              it affects your clutch preload and if it is to tight it will let your clutch slip and never lock up no matter how much free play you have in your cable on the handlebars.
              Last edited by blowerbike; 07-31-2009, 01:37 AM. Reason: -- -- --- ---

Comment

Ok, Thank you for that! I wasnt too sure what the worm comments meant but i figured there was something serious about it. I will check that. I am planning to tear into it this weekend... I will probably have more questions so ill be sure to post them.

Comment

Working...
                X