Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Carb Question involving jetting, pods, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Carb Question involving jetting, pods, etc.

First off, hello! I am new to the forum (Already read other people's welcome kits, he he). I just bought a 1981 GS1000GL in a nonrunning state. I bought 4 carb rebuild kits and got to work. The airbox was off and nasty, so for cheaper than a new filter I was able to buy 4 pods (I know, I know, it is a NIGHTMARE to run pods). I also read to bump the mains by 25%, so my math put me at ~140 (technically 143.75) from a stock 115. I got 140 mains online from a snowmobile shop really cheap. I rebuilt the carbs and have bench synced them as per bikecliff's site info. Dipped everything but rubber in Berrymans sprayed all passages. Stock air, bumped mains to 140, stock needle. 1.5 turns out from lightly set air needle. I cleaned the petcock screen, and rinsed the tank out with baking soda and vinegar, then let her dry under a vornado fan. I am planning on doing a valve adjustment tomorrow. Then hopefully trying to resurrect her from the grave. Any suggestions before I give her a crank? She only has 8800 miles on the clock and from what I can tell was last registered in.... ready for this... 1984. My goal is to turn her into a cafe racer for as little money as possible. Thanks guys. The PO said he changed the oil recently and the gear oil in the pumpkin. The oil is at the perfect level and from the glass indicator looks very clean. Plugs are brand new looking and the battery is charged. I believe the guy as he was a really nice guy and very straightforward about everything.

Eliott

You are on the right track. Don't know about your jet sizes, but someone on here will.
    I just did this, to an 1100E that sat since 1986, fired right up.
    If the compression is low don't worry it will come up with a few hours of riding. You might put a tablespoon or so of MMO in each spark plug hole and let it sit a while.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      You are on the right track. Don't know about your jet sizes, but someone on here will.
      I just did this, to an 1100E that sat since 1986, fired right up.
      If the compression is low don't worry it will come up with a few hours of riding. You might put a tablespoon or so of MMO in each spark plug hole and let it sit a while.
      What are your thoughts on Seafoam or Berryman Chemtool B-12? I am thinking of doing the Seafoam treatment to my bike and my honda civic (crankcase and run it 500 miles, gas tank run it through, intake and let sit then burn it up) With the Marvel, do you just soak it in there so the seals and rings get lubed? Is that the thought process?

Comment

Originally posted by erw View Post
        What are your thoughts on Seafoam or Berryman Chemtool B-12? I am thinking of doing the Seafoam treatment to my bike and my honda civic (crankcase and run it 500 miles, gas tank run it through, intake and let sit then burn it up) With the Marvel, do you just soak it in there so the seals and rings get lubed? Is that the thought process?
        MMO soaks into rings to free them up in case they are stuck.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          MMO soaks into rings to free them up in case they are stuck.
          It turns over cleanly, no odd noises or sticking points.

Comment

Are you still running the stock exhaust with the pods?
            82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
            81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
            83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
            06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
            AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
              I am... I will be upgrading the exhaust as soon as funds allow and understand I will probably need to further rejet / carb adjust, but for now yes, individual cone pods, with stock exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
                I clicked on your L and it is a dupe of mine! I took off the rear bar, and spun the bars down for a more aggressive riding position, and off course don't have an airbox, but same color (except mine looks more, how shall I say, kicked in the teeth). Sweet looking ride!

Comment

SPend the money, buy a Dynojet kit or the equivellant. Trying to jet the bike for pod filters by hand is a waste of time and money and riding season. Thats all im gonna say on the subject. Pics, and good luck!

Comment

Ssdd....

Run forrest run!
                    Last edited by blowerbike; 07-31-2009, 02:34 PM. Reason: -

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      SPend the money, buy a Dynojet kit or the equivellant. Trying to jet the bike for pod filters by hand is a waste of time and money and riding season. Thats all im gonna say on the subject. Pics, and good luck!
                      I am going to look for a kit. I am young and trying to do this build as cheaply as possible. That kit is about 1/4 of the price I have into the entire bike! Pics are on the way, but will have to be from my phone, because I don't have a camera.

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      Ssdd....

Run forrest run!
                      ssdd?

I am hoping she will!!!

Comment

Update:

I was doing a valve adjustment. All bolts come out with a nice smile on their faces! Last bolt, yeah! It's the one with the spark plug loom organizer. I put my 10mm socket on, give it a little nudge, SNAP!

Sheared right off...
                        I did a little research, apparently left handed drills (I guess like reverse threaded) seem to be the best option. My grandfather has just about every tool, so I am going to try that soon I guess. Ugh... I filled the reservoir that has been vacated by the bolt head with PB Blaster, hopefully to make things easier on me in the future...

Comment

Working...
                        X