Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left Switch Problems....

Hey again everyone,

Now my MC problem is being fixed (better work this time), I've moved on to the rest of the bike.

1) I'm now trying to dig through some electrical "stuff" The first thing, is what the hell is with this switch??? It doesnt line up properly what so ever. The high beams on the circut board doesn't have a "cut out" on the assembly. And does anybody have a picture, or a rough idea of what is supposed to be used to the turn signal switch? When I got my bike, the physical sliding switch was gone. The horn part is the only thing that's in the correct position which actually works.

2) Im a little confused about the rear turn signals. I just got new ones since they didn't come with the bike. Are the bulbs supposed to have 2 filaments for running lights and then turning?

3) When trying to fiddle with the left switch, I can get the front/ rear turn signal to come on, but does not flicker. So the front right is acting like a highbeam and the rear just lights up. I cannot get the left turn signals to come on at all though. I'm really hoping this doesn't have to do with the turn signal relay/control unit. I know this one might be hard for you guys to diagnose since you can't see how its wired, but for the most part its together.

I'm going to go over the wires in alot more detail on monday whe I have the time to look them over.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks alot everyone,

Kev

You have the 1980 version switch. LOOK for another switch re: 81-82 or even 79. The sliding knob is not available!!!
    Any switch can be adapted to your bike as long as it fits the 7/8th bars

Comment

Hi Mr. coolksprt,

Hmmmm. You know, that is a left handlebar switch cover. But those innards look like they belong on the right side, the starter button and kill switch?

Only a handful of GS models came with anything other than intermittent blinkers. I think the GK and some later ES models came with running lights but only up front.

The rest of your blinker problem could be caused by bad grounds, the wrong bulbs, corroded sockets or connections, etc. It could also be a bad blinker relay. There's a procedure for testing in your manual and supplemental information on my website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by coolksprt View Post
        Hey again everyone,

Now my MC problem is being fixed (better work this time), I've moved on to the rest of the bike.

1) I'm now trying to dig through some electrical "stuff" The first thing, is what the hell is with this switch??? It doesnt line up properly what so ever. The high beams on the circut board doesn't have a "cut out" on the assembly. And does anybody have a picture, or a rough idea of what is supposed to be used to the turn signal switch? When I got my bike, the physical sliding switch was gone. The horn part is the only thing that's in the correct position which actually works.

2) Im a little confused about the rear turn signals. I just got new ones since they didn't come with the bike. Are the bulbs supposed to have 2 filaments for running lights and then turning?

3) When trying to fiddle with the left switch, I can get the front/ rear turn signal to come on, but does not flicker. So the front right is acting like a highbeam and the rear just lights up. I cannot get the left turn signals to come on at all though. I'm really hoping this doesn't have to do with the turn signal relay/control unit. I know this one might be hard for you guys to diagnose since you can't see how its wired, but for the most part its together.

I'm going to go over the wires in alot more detail on monday whe I have the time to look them over.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks alot everyone,

Kev
        Be really nice to know what vintage machine we're talking about here.

I've never seen the inside of one of these switches but here's what it looks like to me...

1) The picture you show looks like the one on my 1100, on that the high/low beam selection is done with the turn signal switch. Left - right for turns, up - down for beam. Maybe there's some "feature" in the moulding of the plastic knob that's missing to reach up inside the switch to activate the high/low beam contact.

2) Again if the same as my 1100, only the front have running lights so the rear may well be single filament.

3) Here's where it would be nice to know what vintage we're talking about. As mentioned, you have an 80's onward type switch, assuming it's the correct switch for the machine... the '80 and later turn signal system was designed to be fail safe. If you suspect the controller, disconnect it from the harness and you should have full manual signals.

If I have time later I'll take a picture of what the missing knob looks like but like has been mentioned, I don't think you can get them any more.

EDIT: Just read Ms SqDancerLynn's post again, I don't think the 79 version will work for you, it has only a momentary switch for the turn signals, 80 and later has a latching switch.
        Last edited by Wallowgreen; 08-01-2009, 10:23 AM.
        It's smoke that make electronic components work.
        Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
        '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
        '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
        '82 GS1000SZ
        '82 GS1100GL
        '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Ah sorry pardon me,

It's a 81' 850L which has had 2 PO's.

Comment

Hi,

Feel free to put this information in your signature file. It's most handy to have it there.

Originally posted by coolksprt View Post
            Ah sorry pardon me,

It's a 81' 850L which has had 2 PO's.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

As promised, here's a piccy of my left hand electrics. Not going to dismantle though sorry. You can see there are no cut out's for either of the contacts you show in the red boxes, just maybe there shouldn't be any?

Any help?
              It's smoke that make electronic components work.
              Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
              '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
              '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
              '82 GS1000SZ
              '82 GS1100GL
              '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Wallowgreen, yes that does help thanks for taking the time out to do that.

Even though I wont want to, I guess any universal type of switch will work as long as its the 7/8?

Any type of fixes or ideas are welcomed. thanks in advance.

Kev

Comment

Working...
                X