Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bias-ply tires and flat spots. True/False?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bias-ply tires and flat spots. True/False?

I've heard that bias-ply tires can develop "flat" spots in the belts if they sit too long without moving, but that the flat spots will work themselves out over some miles.

Is this true?

It certainly feels like this is the case on my bike. It sat for a long time unused in the PO's garage, and since I got the bike a couple of months ago, it's been sitting (until today! Woo-hoo!) in various stages of repair.

If it is in fact true, does anyone have a ballpark idea of how long it will take for the flat spot to go away?

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
    I've heard that bias-ply tires can develop "flat" spots in the belts if they sit too long without moving, but that the flat spots will work themselves out over some miles.

Is this true?

It certainly feels like this is the case on my bike. It sat for a long time unused in the PO's garage, and since I got the bike a couple of months ago, it's been sitting (until today! Woo-hoo!) in various stages of repair.

If it is in fact true, does anyone have a ballpark idea of how long it will take for the flat spot to go away?
    I'd say if the tires are old enough to have developed flat spots they're old enough to be replaced. I'd check the date codes on the tires before riding on them.....

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
      I'd say if the tires are old enough to have developed flat spots they're old enough to be replaced. I'd check the date codes on the tires before riding on them.....

Thanks,
      Joe
      Ditto

My GPZ sits a lot and no flat spots on tires
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If it sat with a flat tire, perhaps. Otherwise, not on bikes.

Eric

Comment

Need more info. How old are the tires and how long have they sat in one position? What brand?

To develope a noticeable flat spot they would need to have fully deflated. If this were the case, it is likely the side wall is affected (i.e.has become checked or split) which is a dangerous condition.If they are old tires and have hardened at all the spot will not likely go away but will always be noticeable. If this is the case, they are also likely unsafe and should be changed.

If the tires are newer (a year or so)decent quality and still pliable then the spot should work out in a couple of weeks ( or less) of use. if possible let them sit in the sun to warm up prior to riding and make sure they are inflated. It might be best to slightly over inflate..but no more than by say 5 psi and only until the tire returns to shape.

Whatever you do please be careful and remember your tires are all that hold you up as you cruise along. Make sure they are in good and serviceable condition.

Ride safe,
          Spyug

Comment

Is this true?

that thing still have spoke rims on it?? Did you let the tires go flat or get low? Have you checked the spoke (if it has em) rims for true??

Comment

The flat spot seems to be only on the front tire, a Bridgestone 'Spitfire'. I'm unsure of the age of the tire (how do I check the date code btw?), though I suspect they are at least two or three years old. There isn't any cracking or dry rot on the tire that I can find. I've only had the bike a few months, how long it sat and at what level of inflation it had with the PO I can't say.

There is a heck of a lot of tread left in the tire, I'm hoping to find out I can safely keep riding on it. Funds for a new tire are non-existent.

That being said, from all your responses, I'm getting this sinking feeling I'm just going to have to park it until I can afford to re-tire her.

I'd rather not ride for a few weeks or months than have a potential disaster and never be able to ride again...but still <sigh>.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                that thing still have spoke rims on it?? Did you let the tires go flat or get low? Have you checked the spoke (if it has em) rims for true??
                Mags. 5-point star style. Tires have never been flat on my watch, but I've only had her a few months.

Comment

My shadow spirit would do the same thing on the front if it sat for a week or more. It would get a flat spot on it, but would feel like it went away after about 5-8 miles of riding to work. The tire was also natorious for leaking air for some reason. I attributed the low pressure to the development of the flat spot.

Comment

The flat spot seems to be only on the front tire, a Bridgestone 'Spitfire'. I'm unsure of the age of the tire (how do I check the date code btw?), though I suspect they are at least two or three years old.
                    Hi,

I found this page on some guy's website:

Tire Info/Changing Tires

There's an article on how to read the date code on your tires.

I would start thinking hard about replacing tires if they are more than 4 years old.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The side walls and tread of my tires look good but after learning here about the date code, I see that the front is an '04 and the rear is an '03. Is it a no-brainer to replace these or can the visual inspection be a cause to give them a little time?
                      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                        The side walls and tread of my tires look good but after learning here about the date code, I see that the front is an '04 and the rear is an '03. Is it a no-brainer to replace these or can the visual inspection be a cause to give them a little time?
                        Some people here may disagree but I'd run those tires assuming they stick well enough for you. They are old, but not so old that you need to trash them straight away.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

[QUOTE=wkmpt;1059039]The flat spot seems to be only on the front tire, a Bridgestone 'Spitfire'. I'm unsure of the age of the tire (how do I check the date code btw?),

1999 and older tires had a three digit date code stamped on the sidewall.
                          The first two numbers were week of the year. The third number was year.
                          For example 327 would be the 32nd week of 1997.

Beginning with the year 2000, the date code stamped on the sidewall is four
                          digits. The first two digits are week of the year. The last two are the year.
                          For example 4103 is the 41st week 2003.

If your tires have a three digit date code, I would forget riding on them
                          regardless of how good they looked.

Earl
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                            For example 327 would be the 32nd week of 1997.
                            The really sad part of this is that the same date code could indicate a 1987 or even a 1977 tire.

That is why they went to a 4-digit code starting in 2000.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              The really sad part of this is that the same date code could indicate a 1987 or even a 1977 tire.

That is why they went to a 4-digit code starting in 2000.

The three digit code was not a great problem since riding a motorcycle on ten year old tires is accepted as verification of legal insanity with a determined death wish in all 50 states.

Earl
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X