fork spring spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork spring spacers

When making spacers for fork springs is it advantageous to have them hollow? I ask because working in a machine shop aluminium rod is a more common material than PVC pipe.

Shouldn't matter what you use.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Most use a piece of PVC pipe... verify the diameter you need, either 1" or 3/4" OD pipe, as some of the front fork tube ID's are just a tad smaller (e.g., the "L" models typically have a smaller front fork tube).
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
        Most use a piece of PVC pipe... verify the diameter you need, either 1" or 3/4" OD pipe, as some of the front fork tube ID's are just a tad smaller (e.g., the "L" models typically have a smaller front fork tube).
        Pvc pipe is this a good idea if it breaks I would to think what would happen anyway
        the orignal one are metal.

Comment

There needs to be a hole in the center, it can't be solid.

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
            Pvc pipe is this a good idea if it breaks I would to think what would happen anyway
            the orignal one are metal.
            I'm running a couple of bikes with PVC pipe as spacers under the caps... no problems.

Why would they break? The load is compressive, not shear.

Yes, my OEM spacers were metal as well; just a semi-rolled piece of sheet metal - most likely the cheapest way to go back in the late 70's / early 80's.
            Last edited by hikermikem; 08-02-2009, 02:05 PM.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
              There needs to be a hole in the center, it can't be solid.
              Mine have holes in the middle because they're pipe, but I don't understand why they couldn't be solid??

What advantage do the holes provide?
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Mine have holes in the middle because they're pipe, but I don't understand why they couldn't be solid??

Maybe I'm thinking of the ZRX1200 forks I just rebuilt. I'm trying to remember if these Suzuki's have a damping rod attached to the cap. If not - nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                  Maybe I'm thinking of the ZRX1200 forks I just rebuilt. I'm trying to remember if these Suzuki's have a damping rod attached to the cap. If not - nevermind.
                  His '80 550L doesn't have rods under the caps... they're at the other end

Where is Westcliffe ?? My wife is from Louisville, I like CO a lot, especially in the Winter!!
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

His '80 550L doesn't have rods under the caps... they're at the other end

Where is Westcliffe ?? My wife is from Louisville, I like CO a lot, especially in the Winter!!
                    We're about 45 miles west of Pueblo near the Sangre De Cristo Mountains.

Hey, I rebuilt my sons 83 GS750ES forks 2 months ago, I should have remembered that. Old age is catching up.

Comment

Perhaps allow the fluid to move more freely,perhaps weight saving in the case of metal pipes.Just my guess.
                      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                      1978 GS1000C
                      1979 GS1000E
                      1980 GS1000E
                      2004 Roadstar

Comment

pipe

maybe im just getting old and more thoughtfull or just wiser,but it takes alot
                        more than pvc tubing to save alot of weight on a Gs.

Comment

Even without a rider, they are heavy pigs! Jenny Craig, can't even help!

Eric

Comment

You could use aluminum rod if you want. It might weigh just a bit more than a hollow spacer, but just visit the restroom before you ride if you're worried about that small amount of weight.

The hole in the middle doesn't make a bit of difference -- it's just simplest and cheapest for most people to use a hunka PVC or metal pipe.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Just about anything that will fit inside the tube and allow the spring to rest on it completely. I found that class 1 hitch spacers are the perfect diameter and come in the perfect length.

Comment

Working...
                              X