Fork seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork seal replacement

Any other ideas besides Slam-hammer technique and heat to get these &%*#$@%&* seals out? (already tried the come along method and tapping with a rubber hammer )
    GS750 1979 Vintage.
    I had them apart less than 10 years ago and they were NOT this HARD!!!

BTW, there is no female socket inside to unscrew...

TIA,

Eric

Try burning the rubber and then prying out the metal remains with a blunt screwdriver.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

put the outer tube in a vice and go to auto zone and pick up a seal puller for like 10 bucks. that should do it.

Last edited by first timer; 08-02-2009, 07:06 PM.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hi Mr. 67fire,

All I can offer this guide from Mr. Matchless. Maybe it will help.

Fork Seal Replacement
        (by Mr. Matchless)

Can you use air pressure to blow them out?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The first two, show the platform that the seal rests on that needs to be removed before you can get to the lower damper.
          The bottom photo shows the old seal that I had to drill a 3/64" hole into to get the seal puller into
          it so that I could pry it out. Still disappointed that I could not get it entirely apart this time to thoroughly
          rebuild it! All that I can do at this point is clean it and re-install the spring, spacer and oil.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
          [IMG][/IMG]
          [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for trying guys!

Eric
          Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2009, 07:23 PM.

Comment

So, are you saying the top fork tube won't pull out because you aren't able to unscrew the allen at the bottom of the fork?

Rick

Comment

No, there is absolutely no problem getting the allen bolt loose, the lower damper, will not come out.
              It all came out about 10 years ago, the last time that I rebuilt them

Eric

Comment

Once you have the lower bolt out you need to apply some force on the tube in the form of a slide hammer motion to get everything to come apart. A few bangs and the top bushing, oil seal (the one you had trouble with), and all associated parts will greet you in all their splendor.

Comment

Not this time. Even used a come along to pull it out while heating the outside of the seal and tapping with a dead-blow hammer while it was under tension!
                  Even tried the compressed gas trick! They have both been soaking in PB Blaster for two days! I was NOT going to break the forks, to FIX them.
                  Rinsed the bottom with thinner, cleaned with brake cleaner and allowed to dry.
                  I have got to ride!

Eric

Comment

I feel your pain, I put mine in a vise and firmly pulled the inner tube against the seal a few times until they came out. If that dosn't work try making a different face when you pull. Good luck!

Comment

The worst part is that I have rebuilt hundreds of hydraulic cylinders in my life-time!
                      The worst one, I had glowing red with a rosebud and applied over 25 tons of force to unscrew the cylinder cap and it did not turn!!!
                      When I called the hydraulic shop owner to ask if there was anything else that I could do, he said (over the phone!):"It's a CASE isn't it?" WTF!!!? It was!
                      He then said that he has had to use up to 50 tons of pressure to break them loose! He had a 50 ton press and got the darn thing off!

I should have used the tongue out of the side of my mouth trick.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
                        Not this time. Even used a come along to pull it out while heating the outside of the seal and tapping with a dead-blow hammer while it was under tension!
                        Even tried the compressed gas trick! They have both been soaking in PB Blaster for two days! I was NOT going to break the forks, to FIX them.
                        Rinsed the bottom with thinner, cleaned with brake cleaner and allowed to dry.
                        I have got to ride!

Eric
                        Using the tube as a slide hammer results in an impact force as opposed to a press or come along, which is not impact. It seems you know what you're doing, but try giving that tube some good solid pulls. I've done this before so hard the tube amost left my hand when it came loose. I can't imagine them not coming apart.

Comment

I drained the oil and filled the tubes with 100lbs of air and then put a heat gun on the seal. It loot alittle while but the seals poped up and I was able to remove them good luck

Comment

Working...
                          X