Fuel in the air intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel in the air intake

Yesterday, when I started my 1982 GS300L, I listened to the motor for a bit and decided that the idle was set to high. I reached down to turn the thumb screw to adjust the idle and a liquid dripped on my hand when i reached under the RH side carb. I took a whiff of my hand and it smelt like gasoline.
    I looked at the carburetor and saw fuel slowly dripping off of the clamp that clamps the air intake boot to the carb. I found that the carb was not properly seated into the boot. But it bothers me that fuel was coming out of the air intake side of the RH carburetor. I took the cover off of my breather box and smelled the inside. It smelled like gas too, but it was dry in there. Is this normal or is it a problem? If its a problem, what exactly is wrong and how can i fix it?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Kitten Tooth View Post
    Yesterday, when I started my 1982 GS300L, I listened to the motor for a bit and decided that the idle was set to high. I reached down to turn the thumb screw to adjust the idle and a liquid dripped on my hand when i reached under the RH side carb. I took a whiff of my hand and it smelt like gasoline.
    I looked at the carburetor and saw fuel slowly dripping off of the clamp that clamps the air intake boot to the carb. I found that the carb was not properly seated into the boot. But it bothers me that fuel was coming out of the air intake side of the RH carburetor. I took the cover off of my breather box and smelled the inside. It smelled like gas too, but it was dry in there. Is this normal or is it a problem? If its a problem, what exactly is wrong and how can i fix it?

Thanks.
    Pull the carbs and check the float bowl level and the condition of the fuel inlet valve and seat.

Comment

Seems to sound like a fuel level issue. I have the same problem with mine, one of my carbs feels the need to flood everything with gas. Not only check the float level, needle and seat, but also make sure the float moved freely on the pin. I think thats where mine is messed up there was a bit of drag when I rebuilt them.

Comment

Hi,

I've collected some information on this. Click the link below and see the section entitled "Overflowing Carbs".

Carb Notes (sync, etc)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X