Can Boots be mended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Boots be mended?

My 81 GS850L backfires primarily when just fired up. It will backfire when it's warm, almost always when I'm in a stagnate place (like just rolling along in 2nd or 3rd gear in slow traffic or something like that).

But when it's first started it backfires a good amount. I don't know if it's one carb or more, I think it's more.

Now, I'm pretty dang sure a couple of the boots are leaky since I can see the separation from the heads when I remove the carbs. Can they be fixed, or do I buy new ones? Also, any hints on the backfiring?

Thanks

-Mike

If the rubber is good, you can fix them with jb weld.

Comment

What's JB Weld? If I can't find that exact item is there another brand of the same type?

thanks

-mike

Comment

JB Weld is very common, you can get it at Walmart. Its an epoxy, and comes in 2 tubes that you mix together. It's truly amazing stuff.

Comment

Spend the cash for new ones, don't mess around trying to fix 20 year old rubber parts. I purchased 4 new boots and o-rings for less than $80. You said you already pulled the carbs once so your mechanical skills are good enough, and you will notice a trememdous difference in how the bike runs. :twisted:

Comment

Thanks gents, all the info I was looking for, with graphics!

I have good mechanical skills for sure, I just have a spork and lettuce shavings for a brain.

Thanks again

-mike

Comment

Working...
            X