83 GS petcock: bent out of shape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS petcock: bent out of shape?

I've done a lot of digging, including at this useful site and BikeCliff's helpful website, but can't find any photos or schematic drawing of the specific petcock or fuel cock from my 1983 GS850G. So I'm hoping someone can identify the spring clip shown here AND offer an opinion on whether it's salvageable. My petcock was frozen -- I disassembled it, but mangled the clip in the process. My guess is that its purpose is to prevent the plastic drum, which regulates gas flow, from turning a full 360 degrees. Should I try to bend it back to the shape I think it should have, put it back in and hope for the best? If I left it out, would that cause problems (other than allowing the switch to rotate in a full circle)? Would a rebuild kit for this specific year include a new clip? Appreciate the help of anyone who might have experience with one of these doodads!

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 2WheelsGood,

Some members have had good luck with petcock rebuild kits but many just buy a new one so they don't have to worry about it for another 20 years. How about my "welcome thang"?

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Here's the petcock, by the way. Maybe it isn't OEM? The ones I see, including the subject of the petcock rebuild article on BikeCliff's site, have a front plate (the piece stamped with RES RUN PRI) that attaches with two screws. Mine looks similar but clips on at each side.

Comment

That's the stock petcock.

When you BUY A NEW ONE, it will look exactly the same, except shiny and 25 years newer. And it will last another 20-25 years or so with no problems.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the info., folks, and for the "welcome thang," BikeCliff. Thinking that a replacement petcock is in order!

Comment

I did the exact same thing when i took apart my petcock.

That doesn't prevent if from turning a full 360. A mechanism ( slot cut out) behind the lever does.

What that does is when the cylinder is rotated to the prime position, it pushes the diaphram back so the fuel can flow because there will be no vacuum when the prime position is activated (because you are supposed to use prime to fill up bowls before starting bike).

So yes, you have to get a new OEM petock and i got mine from www.partshark.com, for 50 bucks. shipping took like 2 weeks though

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
            X