Rebuilding carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding carbs.

O.K.. I've ordered the rebuild kit for my carbs.

I looked at the picture supplied by the vendor so I know what will be comming in the package.

I removed everything I saw from one of the carbs, and realize that the only concern I face is reseting my air on all four carbs. Everything else just goes back in place without adjustment.

No. I did not seperate the carbs from each other, so I do not have to worry about the syncing.

Question. How do I set my air needles evenly and know when they are properly set.

Thanks in advance,
    Antero

Hi Mr. Ant,

Not to pick nits but, what carbs? What bike?

Did you order your "kit" from www.cycleorings.com?

Or did you order one of those funky aftermarket kits?

All the original parts in your carbs should be good, after a good cleaning, except for all of the rubber O-rings (which you get in the kit from www.cycleorings.com). Please don't replace your factory jets with the junk sold in the aftermarket "carb rebuild" kits.

Are you using the proper procedure to clean your carbs (click below)?

Or if you have VM carbs:

Yes, your carbs will need to be bench synced and then vacuum synced if you do everything correctly. Please save yourself some inconvenience, frustration, and downtime, and do it right the first time. You'll be glad you did.

Please forgive my tone. It's late and I really just want to save you a big, fat headache.

Please check my website for lots of collected GS information. Check out things like "plug chops" and "highest idle method" on the following pages:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2009, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks

1981 GS750 Mikuni carbs.

Bench test with what. I am green to this.

I'm learning as I go.

Please help.

It's all in the details, but I need them bad.

Thanks again,
      Antero

Comment

Originally posted by Ant View Post

It's all in the details, but I need them bad.
        Hi,

Not "bench test" but "bench sync". Just click the links in the above post and read. (The blue type is clickable.) Most of what you need is there. You should use the CV carb cleaning guide and NOT the VM carb cleaning guide. Let us know if you have any questions.

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Please be aware that most of the "carb rebuild kits" are junk. They contain brass parts of questionable quality, and even the ones that are well-made may not be labeled correctly. On top of that, they don't contain all the parts you need. Typically, the only part in the "kit" that is of any use is the bowl gasket, and I remember a post a few months ago where even that gasket was not right.

Most of the time, the brass parts in the carbs are re-useable with some cleaning. All you need is a chemical cleaner (most of us prefer Berryman's) to dip the bare, stripped carb bodies overnight, then re-assemble the carbs with a new o-ring kit from cycleorings.com.

Just follow the guides found in the links that BassCliff gave you, that's what we all have done, with great success.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I strongly recommend you ungang those carbs and soak each carb body in carb dip. You can NOT properly clean the carbs and replace all the old and hard O-rings with the carbs still attached to the joining brackets. Regarding syncing the carbs, this is manditory - using a vacuum sync tool after the bike is back together. People make too much out of bench syncing; as long as you don't touch the adjustment locknuts just throw the carbs back together and take a cursury look at the butterflys to make sure they look similar to each other and reinstall the carbs. I never mess around with measuring butterfly opening using a wire, bla, bla, bla that some people do. An eyeball check is all that's necessary to get the bike running and then straight to the vacuum sync.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Many thanks

Thank you all for your insights, and most of all BassCliff for interjecting before I jumped in the deep end. I will follow your advises and hopefully prosper with my endeavor.

Any body know where to get that sink tool at a fare price?

Thanks,
              Antero

Comment

Do a search for Carbtune or Carburetor synch and you will get more information than you probably could read in a month!! A lot of them have information and links to trusted sites for the equipment you need. ZI enterprises has most of it and it seems that everyone here is ordering from them on a regular basis, Would be a good one to bookmark

Comment

Originally posted by Ant View Post
                  Any body know where to get that sink tool at a fare price?
                  Hi,

Here are the standard choices...

The Motion Pro sync tool:
                  Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

A gang of 4 analog vacuum gauges:
                  Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

And there are others, but the favorite is the Morgan Carb Tune:
                  Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists

Don't forget, you'll need a carb adjustment tool (also available from Z1 or Morgan):

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2009, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks again.

Found a 4 gauge carb sync tool on ebay for around 60 bucks delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Don't forget, you'll need a carb adjustment tool (also available from Z1 or Morgan):
                      That is a WONDERFUL looking tool, and it even works well ... where you can fit it in.

I have had the pleasure of using one a few times, but have NEVER been able to reach the adjuster between carbs 2&3 with it.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I dont see the carbtool listed at Z1, got a linky?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          ...but have NEVER been able to reach the adjuster between carbs 2&3 with it. .
                          Aint that the truth! Makes you wonder what Suzuki was thinking when they placed that sync adjuster directly under the frame like that.
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            That is a WONDERFUL looking tool, and it even works well ... where you can fit it in.

I have had the pleasure of using one a few times, but have NEVER been able to reach the adjuster between carbs 2&3 with it.

I found that you need to unbolt the choke cable bracket and move it out of the way. Or was it the throttle bracket? Did 2 racks a few months ago and have already forgotton! Another moment of Altzheimers light!

You can also make up that tool, a long 300mm screwdriver, a 8mm socket and a 300mm long tube and just weld it up, really worth while having.

Comment

Update

Just spent about six hours cleaning my carbs. Went pretty good. I ordered the orings BassCliff suggested. Between those and the rebuild kits I ordered I managed to come up with everything I needed.

Vac sync scheduled for tomorrow or wednesday. Waiting for the IV tank I ordered so my tank won't be in the way.

Thanks again to you all for your help and motivation.

Antero

Comment

Working...
                              X