Wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel question

We were putting new tires on the '80 GS1000G project yesterday and upon breaking the bead found an innertube. Wheel says tubeless on it, so we removed the offending item and put the new tire on.
    Did the front, put the tire on and the bead wouldn't seat. looked at the wheel, no lip on the inside for the bead to seat and the wheel didn't read, "tubeless" anywhere on it. Luckily my friend had the right tube in stock so we installed it and all was well.

My question is, why on Earth would Suzuki have one wheel tubeless and the other tube type?
    Doesn't make much sense.

Mis-matched rims from another place in time?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      Mis-matched rims from another place in time?
      Nope, that's a common situation.

Goofy, but common
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Nope, that's a common situation.

Goofy, but common
        YOU"VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!

I about killed myself (favor to a friend) a year ago when the stealership mounted a tubeless tire to a tubed rim. She had me install the wheel combo and take it for a test ride. Needless to say...the front blew off the bead at 60+ mph and I was in a death grip wobble all the way to a stop!
        That seems like a GREAT scenerio of a law suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          YOU"VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!

I about killed myself (favor to a friend) a year ago when the stealership mounted a tubeless tire to a tubed rim. She had me install the wheel combo and take it for a test ride. Needless to say...the front blew off the bead at 60+ mph and I was in a death grip wobble all the way to a stop!
          That seems like a GREAT scenerio of a law suit.
          Lots of people around here have converted their tube type cast wheels to tubeless. The tire won't blow off the rim. You install the appropriate valve stem and mount the tire just like any other tubeless tire.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My front is labeled "tubeless tire applicable" on it, though the rear is not - but they're obviously of the same manufacture. I figure it was possible to put that on the 19" but not the 16" (more room for the lettering). I did end up installing a new rear tubeless, and there was no tube on there before. Had to drill out the hole a bit to make the valve stem fit. Some say these older rims were a bit porous and that's why tubes are needed. I have to put about one PSI in every two weeks, front and rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Lots of people around here have converted their tube type cast wheels to tubeless. The tire won't blow off the rim. You install the appropriate valve stem and mount the tire just like any other tubeless tire.
              Well I'm not sure WHAT was done, but I can tell you, I wouldn't / WON'T ride one that way... I don't enjoy surprises like that.

Comment

Working...
              X