83 GS750ES igniter alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS750ES igniter alternatives?

I'm wondering if any of the gurus here can tell me what my options would be to replace a dead igniter in a 1983 GS750ES? No longer available from the dealer, and excruciatingly pricey even if it were, I'd like to know my options. I see some igniters from earlier years and other bikes on eBay, and wonder if they could be adapted to fit. If so, how would I do that? I'm a pretty good mechanic in general, have swapped motors in cars, installed aftermarket electronic ignitions in cars, and worked on old dirtbikes a lot, but I'm not a whiz with bike electronic ignitions.

As I understand it, the '83 and newer 750/700 is different than the earlier 750, but I'm not sure what those difference are. Are there any links out there to scanned articles from early '80's bike magazines that might explain the differences? I have scanned articles I've collected over the years for old Kawasakis, but very little about Suzukis.

Thanks for any and all advice, opinions, etc.

BTW, I'm using this info to help me with a purchase decision - haven't got the bike yet, but if I can't find a good affordable ignition, I can't even consider it.

Thanks!

Scott in Penfield NY

you can change over to a dyna S ingition plate and buy an early model advancer/timing plate/wider ign. cover ect.
    then you can wire it and time it.
    or...
    you can PM me.
    i have several of these boxes.
    these boxes was near 400.00 from suzuki after tax.
    maybe look on ebay.
    either way..
    a replacement box will get you back on the road the easiest.

*note*
    i have a box part # 131100-3580 on my desk right now.
    Last edited by blowerbike; 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM. Reason: ---

Comment

i just wanted to add...
      its been a while since i worked on a "83 750".
      i am not 100% for sure they make a dyna S for this model.
      i don't remember if this bike has the smaller than normal ign. trigger plate and cover like the 83-86 550's.
      maybe someone else can chime in.
      thanks,
      terry

Comment

Hi,

The OEM part# is 32900-31310 superseded by 32900-49420, but others may work.

The www.partshark.com site says they can still get it for $412.95!

Other bikes that use this part#:

1985 GS700E
        1985 GS700ES
        1983 GS750E
        1983 GS750ES

Ebay, craigslist, or the good folks here should be able to save you some $$$.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

the number i posted was read straight off of the 750 i have.
          good interchange info posted above.

Comment

Hi Mr. blowerbike,

I was going by the part numbers in the online parts fiches. I've noticed that sometimes the OEM part numbers are not the same as what is on the part itself. I appreciate your willingness to help another member. Kudos to you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Putting a Dyna S on a 16V motor is a pain in the ass, and not the best choice since you're using a mechanical advance that is weighted for an 8V motor. I did it on a 16V 550, and would not do it again.

I would recommend sending a PM to Distraction628. He's gone through Boyer Brendsen or one of the other aftermarket companies to get his (can't recall the name of the company, but I think it was Boyer). I think he paid somewhere in the $150-200 range for a new replacement unit.

Comment

to my knowlage these boxes are not offered from the aftermarket companies..
                there may be someone reparing these but that would be it.
                FYI.
                if you put a dyna S on a 16v. GS...
                just use a 16v. mechanical advancer...simple eh?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  to my knowlage these boxes are not offered from the aftermarket companies..
                  there may be someone reparing these but that would be it.
                  FYI.
                  if you put a dyna S on a 16v. GS...
                  just use a 16v. mechanical advancer...simple eh?
                  Simple, if you could find a 16V mech. advancer. Only one I might guess exists would be for the first generation of 1100 or 750, but I think they'd gone electronic by then. Do you know of a 16V engine that had mechanical advance?

The aftermarket companies do make a replacement ignitor for the 16V 750/700, because my pal had his go bad on a ride last year, and he managed to get one. Boyer Bransden lists a micro digital kit for the 16V 750/1100:

Like I said, the O/P should PM Kevin (screen name Distraction628) as he can hook him up with the right company and the approximate price.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
                    Simple, if you could find a 16V mech. advancer. Only one I might guess exists would be for the first generation of 1100 or 750, but I think they'd gone electronic by then. Do you know of a 16V engine that had mechanical advance?

The aftermarket companies do make a replacement ignitor for the 16V 750/700, because my pal had his go bad on a ride last year, and he managed to get one. Boyer Bransden lists a micro digital kit for the 16V 750/1100:

Like I said, the O/P should PM Kevin (screen name Distraction628) as he can hook him up with the right company and the approximate price.
                    80-83 GS750/GS1100 16v. except "83 750"
                    i have a box full of these advancers.
                    im not sure about "micro digital kits".
                    thats new terminology to me and sounds way to advanced for a 25 year old motorcycle.
                    maybe if Distraction628 could post on this thread and explain exactly what he bought..
                    that would be cool.
                    the UK has all kinds of differant stuff available ignition wise that folks in the states are unaware of.
                    i'm not sure if this is the source of the above mentioned black box.

Comment

Yup, looks like you're right - wonder why I never noticed that the 16v bikes had a mech advance when I had to do the switch to the 550....maybe I assumed only the 8v bikes had it. The 550 was a pain in the arse because it has a different screw orientation on the backing plate and yadda yadda yadda...heading for a threadjack here.....

Comment

You could also use the Dyna S 2000 - that has selectable & programmable advance curves & a rev limiter in the box....

Wouldn't the 1150 ignitor fit?

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          You could also use the Dyna S 2000 - that has selectable & programmable advance curves & a rev limiter in the box....

Wouldn't the 1150 ignitor fit?

Dan
                          differant advance curve.

Comment

What's the difference in the curve? In some cases a performance gain might be felt from the altered curve....

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              What's the difference in the curve? In some cases a performance gain might be felt from the altered curve....

Dan
                              it would be a performance increase if you went from a 1150 box to a 750 box.
                              a 1150 box will plug in and run on his bike but have less curve than the 750 box.
                              the bigger bikes has less advance.
                              yes a 1150 box will plug it and fuction on his 750.....

Comment

Working...
                              X