Spark Plug Wires Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug Wires Question

I have read in a few posts of members saying to unscrew your spark plug boots and cut off the end a little and reinstall to give them a cleaner/better spark or connection. As I have never had to do any real work on any of my bikes (been darn lucky) my completely dumb noob type question is....
    How is this actually done? Could someone post some pics so I can actually see what is being talked about here.. the plug wires are still stock and I think could use this little maintenance tip done to it.
    Bike in question is my current bike in my sig. right at 14,000 miles on it now.
    Thanks for whatever help anyone could give me on this.

Peel back the grommet/sheath that covers the wire as it goes into the plug cap.
    Pinch the wire firmly in one hand and unscrew the plug cap anticlockwise with the other.
    Snip about 6mm off the wire and screw it back on. Job done.

Comment

Hi Mr. terrylee2u,

If you're going to do that, why not get a new set of plug caps too? New plug caps and fresh connections are a great preventative maintenance item. They look like this:

About $3 each.

thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hey thanks Cliff and Guy.. I just never knew you could take those apart.. I will be checking into those soon

Comment

Now that is what I need...Anyone know the part # so I can order them here??? I would really appreciate cause I am not sure if auto parts store might have the bike parts catalog

Comment

I found that pruning shears gave me a very smooth cut and no smashing like you would get with wire cutters when I did it--it was very easy to do! O would guess that tin snips or heavy duty scissors would as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cruz del sur View Post
              Now that is what I need...Anyone know the part # so I can order them here??? I would really appreciate cause I am not sure if auto parts store might have the bike parts catalog
              Hi,

I'm sorry to sound like a broken record. Visit my website, click on the "Electrical Odd and Ends" section and you'll find the part numbers for the plug caps.

Or you can visit an online vendor like www.Z1Enterprises.com and choose the ones you want. The only difference in the parts are the angles, from straight to right angle.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you so much sir :0) will visit your site in a sec.

One more question: We do the coil mod so we can get a stronger spark.....Wouldn't it make sense then to also eliminate those resistors, and place a tiny brass rod instead???

Comment

What resistors?

Comment

Thank you so much sir :0) will visit your site in a sec.

One more question: We do the coil mod so we can get a stronger spark.....Wouldn't it make sense then to also eliminate those resistors, and place a tiny brass rod instead???
                    The resistors do nothing but suppress noise. Resistor wires, or resistor plugs accomplish the same thing. If you don't use any of the above you'll just cause AM listeners problems when nearby.

Comment

There is a resistance (measured in Ohms) in those resistors (I measured it yesterday). The spark has to travel through them, since it connects the wire screw in to the spark plug connector. So there has to be a voltage drop....if we eliminate it, it should make the spark stronger, and a better burning of the fuel....
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2009, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Guy, if you pull the wire, you will see that in side the plug, there is a lot for a screw driver. That comes out and right behind it there is a small cylindrical resistor. On 1 and 3 there is also a spring and little piece of metal so do not lose them if you check :0)

Comment

There is a resistance (measured in Ohms) in those resistors (I measured it yesterday). The spark has to travel through them, since it connects the wire screw in to the spark plug connector. So there has to be a voltage drop....if we eliminate it, it should make the spark stronger, and a better burning of the fuel....
                          Which is why you don't see them on competition vehicles.

Comment

Oh, resistors on the HT side of the coils.
                            Resistance in the primary circuit would certainly be something to be concerned about,
                            but I can't see that suppressor resistors in the HT side would make much difference to the strength of the spark and the overall performance of a roadbike.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                              Oh, resistors on the HT side of the coils.
                              Resistance in the primary circuit would certainly be something to be concerned about,
                              but I can't see that suppressor resistors in the HT side would make much difference to the strength of the spark and the overall performance of a roadbike.
                              Not much at all, but for competition bikes everything counts.

Comment

Working...
                              X