Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is my oil drain plug reverse thread?

I need help with this as soon as possible. Please resond

Its a normal right hand thread. Be careful retightening those are aluminum threads.

Comment

Re: is my oil drain plug reverse thread?

Originally posted by djturnz
      I need help with this as soon as possible. Please resond
      It should be right hand threaded (righty, tighty, lefty, loosy). I have never seen one that was not that way. Keep in mind that is the way it is if you are laying on your back looking up at the drain plug.

Hap

Comment

If you are talking about the GS's that would be no its not a reverse thread. Being upside down kinda makes it hard to figure out which way to turn it, but it is a standard thread. Bill

Comment

He got three answers within two minutes of each other!

hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
            He got three answers within two minutes of each other!

hap
            Yep ya gotta be fast around here. Bill

Comment

Thanks. I was reading around after I posted and decided that it must be stripped. I don't know how. I have never touched it, I have had the bike for almost 3 years now (I know I know). It just started leaking. At first I thought that the wifes car was leaking and I parked over the stain but I found a little wet oil on the plugger. When I went to tighten it, it was quite loose, must be stripped. I guess I'll have to change the oil pan.

thanks for all the help.

Comment

dj,
                you can use Permatex Red for high heat on the bolt, just a wee bit say maybe a 1/8 inch bead around bottom of bolthead and it will seal up in about three hrs. I did mine that way and tightened it up and let it see for a few hrs, then filled with oil and still have no leaks!!

Michael

Comment

i had the same problem with my 850. i checked the drain hole and there were still good threads further up in the hole that the bolt didn't reach. if you use a longer bolt it might reach these threads. i couldn't find a longer bolt with the same thread pattern so i cut the ceramic off a 14mm spark plug. to my surprise it worked and hasn't leaked yet. remember to use your aluminum gasket and measure your drain hole to make sure the plug isn't to long.

Comment

Yeah I used a spark plug socket to tighten it.

Comment

Working...
                    X