Carbs not getting fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs not getting fuel

i went out to Sturgis and i was about 3 hrs from home when we stopped at a gas station to fill up. As we left the bike was lacking power dramatically. It was bogging really bad. I was flooring it and could barley break 50mph. We trailered it the rest of the way home. At first i was thinking electrical but all the cylinders are getting spark. I drained the bowls figuring that i must have got bad gas and its dirty, tried getting it started again and no luch this time, i recheck the bowls and hardly any gas comes out. So im thinking somethings plugged or the floats are stuck. The whole trip was about 1400 miles and it ran great, it had a noticeable bog though because i just put a V&H header on and the guy at the dealer did a crappy jetting job or something. But i want to get your guys opinion on this and kind of guide me through this since im going to start doing stuff myself and am tired of no1 in this town that knows about these old of bikes. its a 1980 gs 850L rejetted to 120 mains

p.s. before my next long trip im investing in a newer/softer/more comfortable seat

another quick note, when i got the carbs rejetted, the middle two fuel screws were stuck, so the carbs were dipped to try to get them loose, but they were still stuck, to compensate they shimmed the needles, so the carbs are clean or so they say.

Comment

You're letting a dealer work on your bike? That's mistake #1

Bad jetting could mean you overheated and seized the motor, especially on a long drone across South Dakota.

More likely you have a vacuum leak. Does your petcock have a prime position? IF so, pull off the gas line, turn it to prime and see if gas comes out and how fast (catch it in something)

Check the vacuum line to your petcock - it could be leaking

Also,

1. Did the bike run well before you put the header on it?
      2. You dipped the carbs - for how long? Were the O rings replaced? Carbs synced?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Check my website for guides to carb cleaning, jetting, plug chops, highest idle method, float height setting, vacuum synchronization, etc. Do you think your petcock could be bad? Have you tested it?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          You're letting a dealer work on your bike? That's mistake #1

Bad jetting could mean you overheated and seized the motor, especially on a long drone across South Dakota.

More likely you have a vacuum leak. Does your petcock have a prime position? IF so, pull off the gas line, turn it to prime and see if gas comes out and how fast (catch it in something)

Check the vacuum line to your petcock - it could be leaking

Also,

1. Did the bike run well before you put the header on it?
          2. You dipped the carbs - for how long? Were the O rings replaced? Carbs synced?
          The motor ran fine, it still turns over, it still ran before i drained the bowls, but really crappy, really muffled and sounded like it only ran on a few cylinders. When they took apart the carbs, they said that two fuel screws were stuck and two were loose, so they fixed that, the floats were 4mm out of adjustment and fixed that. My petcock is broke off so its only on the run setting. and its been like that for 20+ years. I took the tank off to try look under there and see if i could find anything with that. Ill put the tank back on and see if i have a vaccum leak somewhere. Thanks for the advice so far.

Comment

Working...
          X