Idle problem, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle problem, help?

I have a 79 GS1000L that will not idle on the #1 cylinder. Just today cleaned the carbs and got new spark plugs, put Dyna coils on it this weekend, already had Dyna ignition. No matter what I do #1 fouls and will not idle, all other spark plugs are a nice brown color, but #1 is black and sooty. I have replaced the o-rings on the intake boots, even switched intake boots around, nothing seems to help. I did a compression check today, 130 psi on all cylinders. I should say the bike runs fine off idle, and will idle on #1 if the spark plug is brand new. I have had this problem with this bike since I first got it a few years ago and no matter what I do to it the problem remains. Is my problem most likely a valve adjustment problem? I realize I should have this done anyway, but I want to be reasonably sure this will fix the problem before I throw more money at this thing.

I should also add I have had two different racks of carbs on this bike with no change to the problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated, I am at my wit's end.

Hi,

Did you try a new plug cap?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I had tried a new plug cap previously to no avail, forgot to mention that I installed new wires with the Dyna coils this past Saturday.

Comment

You should ensure that the valves are adjusted before making any carburetor changes. I would go through carb #1 and make sure that everything is spotlessly clean and that all the parts are functioning properly. Pay attention to the choke and pilot circuit

Have you checked your fuel level on this carb. If it is set too high this would cause an overly rich condition.

Comment

Working...
        X