1166 meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1166 meltdown

Blew another head gasket the other day. Decided to fix it right this time after a half-a$$ed job glueing on a head gasket and putting rings on bad pistons.
    Here's the aftermath

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Here's the new pistons.
    Thanks to Rapidray I got a new set for a good price. Only had to drive to Disneyland!

I'll get more pics tomorrow after I pick up the head and cylinder from the machine shop.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Ughh that sucks dude Was it smaking on something or is that just pitting from heat and what not? Ive never got to see what a blown up, torched piston looks like. Cams, heads, valves, yes, never a piston tho. Interesting. Sorry it happened brother. But sounds like either Ray or Terry is getting ya all back to much more gooder. Aside from having to spend the bucks.

Comment

The head had heat pits on #2 and #3. I had that welded and ground at the machine shop. Looks good!
        I also had the head and cylinders milled and honed.

Comment

hey cookie baker,
          are you 100% for sure positive on the timing you was running in this engine?
          i set the timing with a degree wheel and triple check it.
          34 total advance is alot on a daily rider.
          if you oooh boooo a couple degree's that could explain the damage you have.
          along with a lean mixture.......
          i see detonation period.
          an oil cooler the size of A/C condenser wouldn't have helped what was brewing in those combustion chambers.
          so whats the story salty balls?

Comment

I set the timing with the stock marks. I'll double check it tomorrow when I get it running.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I set the timing with the stock marks. I'll double check it tomorrow when I get it running.
              you should re-degree your cams every time the head is removed.
              set the timing with the degree wheel on it.
              check it twice/three times.
              it will be 100%correct then.
              those damn dyna modules can be on 2 or 3 degree's from one to the other.
              do not rely on a timing light.
              i would make 2 marks on the ign. plate.
              one for 32 total advance and one for 34-35 total advance in case you feel froggy one day and want to add a little to it at the track or where ever.

Comment

The pistons that you got from Ray were .010 or .020 over?
                You said that you had the cylinders bored...
                Hopefully we will meet on the Shasta run.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
                  The pistons that you got from Ray were .010 or .020 over?
                  You said that you had the cylinders bored...
                  Hopefully we will meet on the Shasta run.

Eric
                  75mm before..
                  still 75mm just new pistons..same bore...fresh hone.

Comment

My bad, "milled and honed".

Thanks,

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      you should re-degree your cams every time the head is removed.
                      set the timing with the degree wheel on it.
                      check it twice/three times.
                      it will be 100%correct then.
                      those damn dyna modules can be on 2 or 3 degree's from one to the other.
                      do not rely on a timing light.
                      i would make 2 marks on the ign. plate.
                      one for 32 total advance and one for 34-35 total advance in case you feel froggy one day and want to add a little to it at the track or where ever.
                      Bill Only uses the best ;

Check that timing and the crank twist there Bill

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Not an expert but agree with Mr. Blower in that thoses pitts could be caused by detonation. I assume you are using good gas, which means you should verify your timing values.

Good luck Bill. You da driveway rebuild king.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          You da driveway rebuild king.
                          Ain't that the truth!!
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            Here's the new pistons.
                            Thanks to Rapidray I got a new set for a good price. Only had to drive to Disneyland!

I'll get more pics tomorrow after I pick up the head and cylinder from the machine shop.
                            You are only a few miles away. What machine shop are you using?
                            Speed Merchant
                            http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                              You are only a few miles away. What machine shop are you using?
                              I brought the cylinders to your place but didn't have the pistons handy.
                              You were my first choice! Ask your boys.
                              I bought a head and base gasket from you.
                              Kris Verren sent me.

Comment

Working...
                              X