No announcement yet.

1166 meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I helped a friend do a valve job on his 1150. We just let the chain fall, & fished it out later. It was not a big deal. Did we get lucky?

I'm getting ready to do a 1085 job on my GS1000. This is why I'm asking.

On the subject of splitting cam chains. I have the motion pro riveting tool. Used it on several drive chains. It has smaller anvils for cam chains. I never had the need to use it though.

Ray, make sure you don't get your tool caught in a tight spot! Uhh, on second thought ...

Comment

If you have the riveting tool, then you're probably not going to have any issues.

The only time I ever replace a cam chain is when rebuilding a motor, and if I'm doing that the cases are going to be split anyway - so it's a no brainer to order the continuous chain.

Comment

"You call do it safely if you use a proper riveting tool. Some try to peen the rivet heads over with a hammer. Not a good choice of methods and courting link failure. The joining link doesn't have a sliding lock as drive chains do, but are designed to be riveted."

You are correct, it has been a very long time ago (these engines are practically, bullet-proof) and Alzheimer's has been kicking in.
        I mean "some-timer's disease". Not old enough for Alzheimer's.

I peened it AND welded it.

Eric

Comment

I didn't split the chain. Top end is on. Have to adjust valves, install valve cover, carbs....
          Didn't get started till after 12. The machine shop was dragging their feet.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Got it running.
            Need to check the timing, degree in the cams, check jetting and sync carbs.
            All in a days work.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

put a baffle in that turd so you can hear when the pistons shake.

Comment

I don't need no stinkin baffle.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  I don't need no stinkin baffle.
                  you'll be ok...
                  i still have 6) 1166 pistons left

Comment

I'm haveing a hard time working up the steam to rebuild my carbs and you whip a rebuild of your upper end in nothing flat. You know how to make a guy feel like a whimp. Hope it works out fine.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

On the cam chain I use the speaker wire to pull the chain through the cylinder and head.
                      I drop the chain in the tunnel when I drop my cylinder and lock it so the pistons don't move. I use a magnet to fish it out.

Comment

Working...
                      X