• Show
Clear All

Bill, what is the speaker wire for?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
      Bill, what is the speaker wire for?
      For the Black Sabbath of course!

It's tied to the cam chain.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Although the speaker wire is good for the Black Sabbath, I just used a coat-hanger from the frame to the cam chain.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          For the Black Sabbath of course!

It's tied to the cam chain.
          Are you PARANOID the chain will fall down into the engine?

Did you have to split the chain to remove the cylinders?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
            Are you PARANOID the chain will fall down into the engine?

Did you have to split the chain to remove the cylinders?
            I dont know if he's paranoid, but it kinda sucks tryin to fish that chain back up when it DOES happen.

And, i duno bout Bill, but ive never had to split the chain to remove the entire top end. Dont think you would have to at all, unless of course you had to replace the chain, then ive heard various tales on how it SHOULD be done. Some say you can get away with cracking the chain, running the new one and riveting it, other say the cases MUST be split as the chain should be continuous and NEVER pinned.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Blew another head gasket the other day. Decided to fix it right this time after a half-a$$ed job glueing on a head gasket and putting rings on bad pistons.
              Here's the aftermath

Your mechanical info looks good, but have you called an exterminator about those piston mice??

That's one of worse cases of non catastrophic detonation I've ever seen!
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Disneyland ! So did you get the pistons from Mickey.
                Looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  I dont know if he's paranoid, but it kinda sucks tryin to fish that chain back up when it DOES happen.

And, i duno bout Bill, but ive never had to split the chain to remove the entire top end. Dont think you would have to at all, unless of course you had to replace the chain, then ive heard various tales on how it SHOULD be done. Some say you can get away with cracking the chain, running the new one and riveting it, other say the cases MUST be split as the chain should be continuous and NEVER pinned.
                  I wouldn't take the chance splitting the chain. They come continuous and I'd leave them that way and split the cases and do it right. IMHO, it just isn't worth the risk.

Comment

I had a timing chain come "un-glued" ONCE, and it bent all of my custom made valves! So when I replaced it, I tack welded the link with a wire feed welder.

Just my .02

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
                      I had a timing chain come "un-glued" ONCE, and it bent all of my custom made valves! So when I replaced it, I tack welded the link with a wire feed welder.

Just my .02

Eric
                      No need to do that if you install them without breaking. Or did you not get a continous chain?

Comment

It had a master link in it.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
                          It had a master link in it.

Eric
                          You can do it safely if you use a proper riveting tool. Some try to peen the rivet heads over with a hammer. Not a good choice of methods and courting link failure. The joining link doesn't have a sliding lock as drive chains do, but are designed to be riveted.

The continuous chains are all made by a designated riveting process.
                          I've got 12,000 kms on my Tsubaki light weight chain so far.
                          The endless chains are safer to use, but do you want to split the cases?

Bill, those ball bearings made some rather sharp looking pit marks.
                          Last edited by 49er; 08-05-2009, 01:06 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
                          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Not if you own a telescoping magnet. I NEVER tie the cam chain up. I have the tools to do the job. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              Not if you own a telescoping magnet. I NEVER tie the cam chain up. I have the tools to do the job. Ray.
                              I have a telescoping magnet too Ray. They cost a buck or two at the autoparts store. Its still a pain in the ass, and I dont fancy the idea of sticking a magnet down inside a bunch of steel parts. Same theory as not using a magnet to pull valve shims. Yeah, its likely not going to magnatize anything, but why take the chance. Takes 5 seconds to hook the cam chain over a pice of pre-bent coat hanger, or with some wire.... oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                                he said tool

Comment

Working...
                                X