No announcement yet.

Q's: Valves, gaskets, gauges, torque wrenches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Lurch Thats great rule of thumb advice for newbies with no mechanical experience like me!

Will employ that one on the valve cover and sump plate

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
      Think of a short deck screw, but instead of one that requires a philips bit, use one that requires a square bit. The square 'hole' in the top of the screw fits the square valve adjuster on the 16 valve engine.
      I think they are also known as Robertson screws......to make it easier to find at the hardware store.

I too set the clearance so that .004 slides through, but not .005......IMHO, if the gap is wide enough to accept the .005 gauge, the clearance is actually larger than spec, though some folks have a different interpretation & it's probably not that critical.
      Ricko, Bass Cliff has all the info in a very easy to understand format.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
        I think they are also known as Robertson screws......to make it easier to find at the hardware store.

Tony.
        Thanks for the picture. I've read the notes on BassCliff's site and did not understand how his home made tool worked until I saw this picture. I plan to lean heavily on that set of instructions when I finally get to the valves.

Woodsie

Comment

Working...
        X