Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS550E Wiring - what is that for?

Please see the pic below.

The 2 white circles show two wires. One has a plug on one end and is bare on the other. They both are black/white stripe, so I would guess they were connected @ some point.

The wire w/the plug (right side of pic) goes into a harness and disappears; the bare wire on the left comes out w/2 other wires where the connector for a relay-looking sensor is attached to the back of the battery box....the other 2 wires connect to the 'relay', but there's nothing for the bare wire.

My electrical/wiring troubleshooting skills are infamously poor - so I humbly request feedback on what this wire is for????

Thank-you for your time!

Unfortunately, I don't know the answers to your questions..bought the bike this way.
    Thanks,
    Td

Comment

on my bike, those wires usually go to the blinkers. They are ALWAYS black or black with a white stripe.

Comment

Hit your blinkers and touch some wires together. If you arent still sure if its all right but everything works properly, then its all wired correctly.

Comment

They are both likely ground. The one on the right looks like it is related to the Regulator/Rectifier with the connector in behind. The R/R on my 1983 GS550E has three yellow (stator) a red (to battery/fusebox), and a black to ground through a bullet connector just like the one you show. The bundle this comes from appears to be a red and three yellow wires which is most likely the feed to/from the regulator.

IF it is the R/R ground, it should be connected to the ground terminal on the battery to ensure the best charging possible.

The one next to the flasher relay (left circle) is for a three prong flasher such as the Tridon EP34. If your two prong flasher works fine, this connection is not needed and can be taped shut with the flasher relay bundle.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Did you put a meter on either one? b/w is ground

Comment

Originally posted by R3DN1CK View Post
              Did you put a meter on either one? b/w is ground
              I need to try that.
              Thanks

Comment

Update

I'm thinking maybe the wires were for some accessory that was removed when the bike was sold??

Thanks for the feedback...everything works, including the blinkers. So, just going to leave it well enough alone.

Comment

Originally posted by wtdash View Post
                  I'm thinking maybe the wires were for some accessory that was removed when the bike was sold??

Thanks for the feedback...everything works, including the blinkers. So, just going to leave it well enough alone.

It looks like a ground wire for the reg/rect.
                  is it running OK?
                  perhasp someone made a swapout to another type of reg rect and this lead became superfluous?

more pics of all the leads into and around the battery box please.

Comment

Working...
                  X