Valve Clearance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Clearance Question

Just did my valve clearances tonight on my 78 750. Ironically, most of them were ok, leading me to believe they may have been done at least once before.

I only had one that was tight. However, I actually had two that were to loose. The exhaust on cyl #3 & #4 were both about .13 mm. each had a 2.70 shim.

Makes me wonder of the PO or whoever went a little small on the shim. I put a 2.80 in cyl #4 and it brought the clearance to .051 mm. I am happy with that.

Anybody else have a bike that had clearances that were too loose?

Rick

Ive never had one be too loose on the 8v stuff. ALthough its not uncommon. SOmeone could have easily had their measurements off, or maybe some carbon holding the valve open, skewing the measurement, that got burned off later... some guys will actually run a little looser than spec, I will even run as much as .10-.12 ish...its ok on a street bike generally, and will get beaten into spec sooner or later.

Comment

7 of 8 of mine were loose. Adjusted but waiting on some stuff in the mail so I can't report anymore info than that.

Comment

Hi Mr. ryonker,

The first time I adjusted my valve clearances I had to swap 5 shims, a couple of them had to go down two sizes. Clearances were very tight initially.

Each subsequent check required fewer and fewer changes. The last check didn't require any shim changes and only 2 valves changed clearances by -.01mm. The others didn't change at all.

This leads me to believe that if you change your oil often enough, your engine can reach a state of stability and remain there for a while. I run my clearances on the loose side of the spec. I don't redline my bike. You treat it good, it'll treat you good.

(Except for that little unplanned dismount recently...)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X