Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS750E - Instruments on ebay

1981 GS750E

My speedometer, odometer, trip meter and fuel level gauges do not work. The rest of the instrument cluster works fine. The speedometer needle is broken into a small fraction of itself and lays inside the gauge crystal.

Looking over the site, I can't find any repair advice for this particular instrument cluster. The diagram makes it look like it can be disassembled. Can it be?

There are currently two of these clusters on ebay. I hesitate to spend the money without the advice of the collective. Can ebay gauges be trusted when the seller does not claim they were tested? (Yes I know how ebay works.) Have many of you bought them there? Do they come up often enough that if I skip these, more will come up?

Here are the two auctions:

I'd appreciate any feedback at all. On pricing, condition, alternate sources, etc ...

Thanks as always. This is such a great place.

Woodsie

Yes the gauges are easily disassembled and serviced.

Those are steep starting prices based on the photos.

I will look in my stash and see if I have something that may work for you if you .. see a pm from me.

Comment

I've been watching gauge clusters on ebay for a bit. Saw one for my 850g go for over 2 hunny bux. NOt bad if it were prestine but.. Only seen one yet.

I'm just gonna build a tach and speedo from several using the original speedo face and leave it at that. I think it'll look better with just two single guages up there anyway.
      I think most who ride know what gear they're in.

Now If I can just figure out what to do with all the excess wiriing, and there's a lot of it.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Hi,

Be careful. I just bought an instrument cluster for my bike. The seller stated something like "electrical hasn't been tested, gauges look great". When it arrived it looked pretty much like junk, more parts missing than described and melted wiring. Bummer. Thankfully I didn't spend too much, less than $40.

Seller is vintagebikeparts442. Here is the auction page:

I've sent him a message about my dissatisfaction. We'll see how he responds.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

The local place here only charges about $35 to repair a speedo/odo. Cheaper then any of those. You might want to call around and get some more options then dropping money on Ebay.

Of course...I just fix them myself..its the calibrating I take em to the guy for.

Comment

Cliff, a picture tells a thousand words.
            That thing looks like junk.
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
            X